DTS 6.1 Worth it?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by betamac, May 23, 2002.

1. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a pretty good 5.1 setup, and always planned to add the centre back speaker when i got some spare cash for 6.1 but is it worth me spending money on anouther 1/2 centre back speakers as i rarely see any DVDS with DTS ES (6.1) i have a collection of 30 DVDS and only about 2 support it?

what other DVD's support it that you recomend i get if i upgrade my system further?

Thanks in advance

2. European

European

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...would wait with an upgrade until the inevitable, imminent arrival of DVDs featuring the even newer, utterly unbeatable, sonically seriously stunning
    Supra-Ultra dts 8.2 ...

. . . :eek: . . .

3. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OUCH! and what AMP / Speaker setup do you need for that?

anywhere i can read up on it?

4. MoonsSpawn

MoonsSpawn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Um....think he's taking the **** Beta I'm afraid.

As for whether you should upgrade.....I have a 6.1 system and I personaly like the extra 'wash' of rear sound it gives. Whether you will or not I can't say.

Try this link to see what other DVD's officially support the standard: http://www.docdvd.com/exdvds.shtml

It's also worth bearing in mind that even without 'official' support you can still use the 6.1 setting on normal 5.1 DVD's and still get some effect. This works better with some DVD's than others and is down to individual DVD's and personal taste.

Best advice I can give is try and borrow a speaker or two, set it up and see if you like it or not.

Hope this helps.

Steve.

5. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol :) its been a long day

Thanks for the info

6. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I think it's irrelevant wheather DVD's or LD's for that matter are laeled EX or ES. STIR WARZ PHANTOM DENTIST is the undisputed 5.1 EX recording king in my book. The second best EX/ES material in my book is THE JACKAL DTS (LD or DVD) and it's not labeled 6.1/ES/EX . Many newer films were EX in theatre but aren't labeled as such as video releases. Can you say lisence fee? The simplest way to get EX/ES results is to get an add on processor like the Smart Jr. unit and a power amp. If your reciever has pre-out's and main-in's it's easy to add. I've been using the Smart Jr. for over two years now and the only thing I turn it off for is 5.1 music. Best wishes!