dts 6.1 ES & DD 5.1 EX

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Craig_Nike, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to annoy everyone with an often discussed subject.

I am trying to confirm whether my receiver (Sony 1070) has dts ES 6.1 discrete capabilities - but I am having trouble with the consistancy of the disks sound format labelling.

Can anybody tell me DEFINITIVELY which Region 4 disks are dts ES discrete ? I know most of you guys are Region 1 & 2.

Also as 5.1 sound is sometimes called DD 3/2
    - is dts 6.1 ES discrete 3/3?
    My reciever displays DD EX as 3/2+1

The only disk I have is Reg 4 'Se7en' which calls out "dts ES 6.1" on the back of the jacket - but the audio menu it is only listed as dts ES Surround - which to me would refer to 5.1 ES Matrix.

When I select to dts track my reciever lists 3/2+1. (Again referring to Matrix)

So my question is - is this a dts ES Matrix (5.1) disk and my reciever is reading it correctly - or is it actually dts ES 6.1 discrete and my receiver is only capable of ES Matrix and is down-mixing ?

Sony cant help because they say 6.1 decoding, but does not specify Matrix / Discrete etc.
    Thanks

2. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm not sure if this helps but this is what i had heard.

The 1070 doesn't decode discrete.

Discrete disks are backward compatible with 5.1 and matrix6.1.

Seven R2 is 6.1 discrete(not sure about R4)

Also Rush hour 2 R2 is discrete

Because discrete disks are backward compatible,if you play them with a matrix only amp,they will play 6.1 matrix.

With my Denon,when playing matrix films it states DTS-ES or DD-ex,or THX-ex but when playing discrete,it states 6.1 discrete.

Sorry I cannot be of more help

Regards