• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

DTP software - Advice please Imac

100949football

Established Member
Hi,

have only recently purchased my new Imac and I'm delighted.
Only problem I want to create some pages for text and graphics to use as headed notepaper for my small business and for monthly invoicing?
Anyone give me some advice on the programme I should be looking for?

Imac is running Snow Leopard.

I previously used fully registered Aldus/Adobe Pagemaker 7 but Adobe dropped that for Mac users post 9.2 - @$£&(%rds what they are!!!!!!!!!

Spoonhead

Prominent Member
Hi,

have only recently purchased my new Imac and I'm delighted.
Only problem I want to create some pages for text and graphics to use as headed notepaper for my small business and for monthly invoicing?
Anyone give me some advice on the programme I should be looking for?

Imac is running Snow Leopard.

I previously used fully registered Aldus/Adobe Pagemaker 7 but Adobe dropped that for Mac users post 9.2 - @$£&(%rds what they are!!!!!!!!!

You could try iWorks, specifically Pages program. Or upgrade to inDesign from Pagemaker 6 or 7 for £182.85

Gazza

Shoka

Prominent Member
InDesign all the way.

You could also try Quark Express but I find it has a much higher learning curve than InDesign.

Last edited:

spinaltap

Distinguished Member

100949football

Established Member
You can easily upgrade from Pagemaker to InDesign for around £165 - which will open all your existing Pagemaker files....

...but if your DTP requirements are modest then Pages is an economical alternative.

An alternative to Pages (iWork) is Swift Publisher...

Swift Publisher — Desktop publishing software for Mac — Overview

But, if you don't want to pay anything, try the OpenSource 'Scribus'...

scribus.net | Scribus Open Source Desktop Publishing

Would Indesign allow me to work with / save all my previous Pagemaker files?

spinaltap

Distinguished Member
Yes. I have Pagemaker 6, and InDesign opens all my files.

Go to the Adobe site and download the fully-working free trial and see for yourself (it works for 30 days).

100949football

Established Member
Yes. I have Pagemaker 6, and InDesign opens all my files.

Go to the Adobe site and download the fully-working free trial and see for yourself (it works for 30 days).

Thanks friend, opens - works - saves (into osx 10.5) ????

Sorry to be so pedantic but I want to be sure.

Regards again.

Shoka

Prominent Member
Thanks friend, opens - works - saves (into osx 10.5) ????

Sorry to be so pedantic but I want to be sure.

Regards again.

Yup, you can open PageMaker files, edit them and then save as InDesign Packages.

Give it a go, it's free for 30 days from Adobe.

If you are designing a new logo for your letterhead give illustrator a go as well, while you are on adobes website download a trial of that too.

SHOOTIST1971

Established Member
Don't be so anxious - think of InDesign as a modern version of 'Pagemaker 8' by another name.

InDesign is the most intuitive page layout application. But even if you get stuck, it has an excellent Help application.

Also, if you use Photoshop and/or Illustrator then the integration is ideal. Any technical questions regarding any of the above apps then feel free to ask me and I'll do all I can to help.

100949football

Established Member
InDesign is the most intuitive page layout application. But even if you get stuck, it has an excellent Help application.

Also, if you use Photoshop and/or Illustrator then the integration is ideal. Any technical questions regarding any of the above apps then feel free to ask me and I'll do all I can to help.

Many thanks friend,

I'll probably take you up on that as I'm in the process of purchasing the Adobe upgrade Indesign using my Licensed Pagemaker 7 as the upgrade path.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom