DTM 2011 - Season 2 21/03/2012 @ 8:45pm (sign-up open)

:D I've only had it a fortnight, I wouldn't know how to switch the bugger on tbh, I will make a point of purchasing the game and give it a bash after my next trip:smashin:

I wish I was experiencing GT5 for the first time again.........you're a lucky man!

Happy 5000th post:clap:

....and I wasted it on a steward's inquiry.
facepalmdz6.jpg

you did pit at silverstone didnt you redboy?

1 more lap and you were mine! :devil:

How very dare you :nono::D

One more lap and we would of crashed:devil: there was no way I would of let you past.

Love to know how I won that one, I just seemed to storm that race. I did have clear air for the whole race though and think I got the second fastest time, just a few 10ths off you.

As said cheers for hosting last night JZ.

Think I might pick and choose a bit more carefully which races I go for instead of every week, plus I need to get more practice with my wheel as well, whether that's on Forza or iracing.

Tonight, had one good race at Mugello which was clean and Hock was ok. For me trying to take almost every slow corner 2 gears higher than I normally would wasn't much fun and if you lost rear aero it was impossible to control, catalunya for example being a total drag, back stepping out everywhere due to first corner and second corner incidents.

Last Hock race was the final straw tho, chaos at first corner, people far too eager to 'stay ahead' flooring it out the corner, spinning and ruining races. That's racing I know, but no fun having to go round for the whole race with full aero damage.

As for the setups, not my cup of tea as I said, person who has a better set up has much better chance of being faster, but it was on the info page at start so can't complain too much. Will stick with locked setup races and such from now on.

Just trying to be honest, not having a go at anyone or that.

And as for PS3, the only reason I bought one was for GT5 and it still is the only game I've ever bought for it (and prologue as well). Might hook the wheel up and have a bash.

Cheers for some great races. Sorry for the 2 people I went up the rear of in the one race.
The car did slow down as quickly as I was expecting and I rear ended u.

Apart from this incidents I thought the night went well. I don't like these cars which is why I hadn't signed up in the first place.

I tried to keep out the way of trouble and was letting anyone who caught up with me past. I got lapped a fair few times. Was still placing aroun 9th which was good.

XRT said:
As said cheers for hosting last night JZ.

Think I might pick and choose a bit more carefully which races I go for instead of every week, plus I need to get more practice with my wheel as well, whether that's on Forza or iracing.

Tonight, had one good race at Mugello which was clean and Hock was ok. For me trying to take almost every slow corner 2 gears higher than I normally would wasn't much fun and if you lost rear aero it was impossible to control, catalunya for example being a total drag, back stepping out everywhere due to first corner and second corner incidents.

Last Hock race was the final straw tho, chaos at first corner, people far too eager to 'stay ahead' flooring it out the corner, spinning and ruining races. That's racing I know, but no fun having to go round for the whole race with full aero damage.

As for the setups, not my cup of tea as I said, person who has a better set up has much better chance of being faster, but it was on the info page at start so can't complain too much. Will stick with locked setup races and such from now on.

Just trying to be honest, not having a go at anyone or that.

And as for PS3, the only reason I bought one was for GT5 and it still is the only game I've ever bought for it (and prologue as well). Might hook the wheel up and have a bash.

You're just as crazy as the Doctor!! ;) If you haven't played GT5 yet mate, get it on! Better graphics, better tracks, superior physics IMO. Went a little stale for me because I was playing it all the time but gone back to it in the last couple of months.

The other yellow car. :smashin:

Think that was me. :blush: sorry.
Thanks for organizing it Jz. I enjoyed it but was well off pace, just got spectacularly lucky in that last race!
Hoping this break is just a break and doesn't mean an end to the forza nights

Didnt know we had others on iRacing, how you finding it?

Just a suggestion if we have future championship type events like last nights with several races in the same night. How about if say there were 6 races again, you drop your lowest score of the 6 and your best 5 count. It would possibly help with those people who happen to have a disconnection or have a race where your totally wiped out and no chance to recover (like many of us at 2nd hockenheim race:laugh:).

Dropped rounds are not uncommon in real motor sports series (every kart championship I ever did usually had 9/12 rounds count towards the final points). F1 also used to use them until I think 1991.

Thanks for organising Jay. I enjoyed it on the whole but not as much as the last DTM's, this was only due to the lag issues and not the racing etiquette. I felt the points scoring system was a little redundant last night tho, its not fair when you get kicked from a game, kind of doesnt matter where you finish in the race after that.

My only issues last night was with lag, i think if it was a lag free night, people wouldnt have become so frustrated, Half the incidents were clearly becuase of lag.

I had some good battles as well, annoyed on silverstone when i got kicked from the game.

I agree with the damage being on, the BTCC night everyone enjoyed with the exception of 1 person. Dont give up folks, maybe we should just run casual race nights for a while until the patch comes out from T10.

I dont really have a comment on allowing you to do your own setup, i dont mind either way. sure it can give others an advantage but hey we're all friends here so we can give share tips on what to do, trust me theres satisfaction to be had when you do a great build/tune :thumbsup:

Keep at it people, dont quit :)

still utterly frustrated about this race night tbh.

there were a couple of races where i would somehow make it into the lead on the first lap (catalunya was one), and behind me aphex and dj jan were battling for 2nd/3rd. this meant i could pull away at the front, by quite some distance.

then all of a sudden within about 4 corners aphex was right up behind me, obviously much quicker.
i would then go into the pits, still in 1st place, to hopefully get some clean air when i come out and to get on with it, only to come out of the pits and be in a net 5th or 6th place (despite all the carnage on catalunya and me being about half a lap ahead of 3rd place back, i would still be for some reason miles down the pack order).

and the lag last night, oh my god. not sure if it was me, as it was only really me who was complaining, but i had Aphex and Dean's cars flying in the air, so every time i got close to them i would be underneth them, and end up hitting them. then on catalunya i was taken out by a spinning dj jan car (no idea if you actually spun or not, but thats what i could see on my screen).

i think i was more annoyed with how much off the pace i was - 3 or 4 seconds on some circuits, and that was with minimal/no damage what so ever.

apologies for any collisions i caused, especially dean round mugello - it was all going so well round there for the first 3 corners, then i bumped into the back of you.

then on catalunya i was taken out by a spinning dj jan car (no idea if you actually spun or not, but thats what i could see on my screen).

I know the car got a bit sideways going into the quick right-left chicane at the back of the circuit (front end was orange damaged so had a lack of grip) and that you were right on my arse going into it. Didnt feel any contact from your car and then noticed you had simply vanished so didnt know if your car had a problem or you had disconnected as I did ask on the mic where you had gone. guessing you took avoiding action and ended up in the quick (slow) sand.

if anyone wants a laugh on the replay, watch nurburgring at the end of the 1st lap my entry to the pits. Completely lost it on the exit of the last chicane and ended up on the pit entry as a result, oops :facepalm:

I did enjoy last night, which I do every race night. Some nights I enjoy more than others, some nights I'm faster, some I'm slower. At the end of the day if we raced the same type of races all the time people would just get bored I reckon.
Sorry tailwhip but I do like to see races where the super fast boys do struggle at times and see other names near the top. I think it keeps the lesser drivers more interested in the night's.

Think what I'm trying to say is not everyone is going to like each race, like me I love some nights and others are an ok night but I for one will always turn up for a race no matter what the car, track or rules are. I like racing you guys and may it long continue.

Big thanks to organizers aswell :thumbsup: I know how much time gets put into these nights. Keep up the good work.:)

Sounds like Tailwhip had a night like I had last week, were just nothing goes right.

Getting a good quali position and then not reversing the 1st race grid helped last night imo. Was easier to get off to a good start points wise so didn't have to try and push so much.

Would be a shame to see the nights die, maybe mix it up with point scoring championship races and more casual nights?

DeltaAlphaEcho said:
Think that was me. :blush: sorry.
Thanks for organizing it Jz. I enjoyed it but was well off pace, just got spectacularly lucky in that last race!
Hoping this break is just a break and doesn't mean an end to the forza nights

Nah, not you! I got clattered by Dean a couple of times in the Ex-Postbrief Audi. These things happen though. The first was quite funny - straight off the line at Silverstone and he put me into the wall! Then a monster lock up into turn one of Nurburgring on the last lap!

Sorry these cars and this event are not everyone's cup of tea. I don't get all the talk of having to drive the car in higher gears. What happened to throttle control? Surely you don't drive every car with your right foot planted down? I'm an average driver but in both the DTM events I've yet to spin a car through letting the back end slide out. Also, TCS was available to make things easier.

As I said before, I should have stuck with the original no assists rules and raced with a lower turn-out. I think there is a place for some more hardcore events now and then. Tuning is part of that and it's not as if people here won't help each other get the best from their cars.

Oh well.

Nah, not you! I got clattered by Dean a couple of times in the Ex-Postbrief Audi. These things happen though. The first was quite funny - straight off the line at Silverstone and he put me into the wall! Then a monster lock up into turn one of Nurburgring on the last lap!

Sorry these cars and this event are not everyone's cup of tea. I don't get all the talk of having to drive the car in higher gears. What happened to throttle control? Surely you don't drive every car with your right foot planted down? I'm an average driver but in both the DTM events I've yet to spin a car through letting the back end slide out. Also, TCS was available to make things easier.

As I said before, I should have stuck with the original no assists rules and raced with a lower turn-out. I think there is a place for some more hardcore events now and then. Tuning is part of that and it's not as if people here won't help each other get the best from their cars.

Oh well.

I'm fine with the tuning aspect mate, as I know that there will always be someone willing to put a tune on their storefront to use. I suppose my issue was specifically with the Audi as you have to have the correct numbered car. For example, Nick put a tune for the number 4 Audi, but I had the number 6 so couldn't use it.

for me personally, the best thing about these nights is that i get to drive cars i wouldn't normally race.

in forza 3 for example, i would simply only race A Class cars online, which consisted of a Lambo, a 350z fairlady, lexus is300 and a toms mrs-2.

these nights let me try out cars that i wouldn't normally try out or race, so for that i am very thankfull.

I'm fine with tuning as well. I suck at it but it'll make me learn to do it better!
Just an idea, as I see lightsider wants his evening back, I know my lass isn't too happy with me taking over the living room for the whole night.
So, would people be interested in just one race for the night. I liked the qualiy, and am happy to start where my pace gets me. So what about say 15min qualiy followed by 35min race. I think it would go well with Jz's GT championship.
All just an idea, but I would like the race night to continue, if it has to be in a reduced capacity to keep people interested then I'm happy with that

Id say just keep going as we are. If people want a night off it shouldn't be a biggie, I think there is enough people in the community to still have a race night.

Think we just need a couple of races in A/B or C class to calm things down a little. I still say its the faster car nights where things gets a bit heated. Lot less room for error.

I'm fine with the tuning aspect mate, as I know that there will always be someone willing to put a tune on their storefront to use. I suppose my issue was specifically with the Audi as you have to have the correct numbered car. For example, Nick put a tune for the number 4 Audi, but I had the number 6 so couldn't use it.

I don't understand why there are five of the same car in the game and the liveries and tuning set-ups are not interchangeable. Crazy. The Mercedes is much easier because there is only one, and there was only one Audi in Forza 3 so I don't understand Turn 10's thinking here. Car list padding?

You're just as crazy as the Doctor!! ;) If you haven't played GT5 yet mate, get it on! Better graphics, better tracks, superior physics IMO. Went a little stale for me because I was playing it all the time but gone back to it in the last couple of months.

I agree that if you have a PS3 then you can't miss GT5 and I'd imagine it's dirt cheap now.

I've tried to get back into it but just can't. I don't totally agree with your appraisal. The physics are better in some ways. I like how it's easier to get out of shape under braking if your car is unbalanced, I really like the track-edge grip reduction which can spin a car if you put a wheel on the grass (Forza needs this), and the game models things like lift-off oversteer much better.

I don't like the braking model nor the brake tuning settings. It's easy to drive Forza without ABS, but unrealistically hard in GT5. You have to use ABS to be competitive and I don't like using assists. I don't like having to use a 900 degree steering model in a racing game (however this can be overcome with a Fanatec). I'm not keen on the slip-stream effect which is exaggerated.

Graphically it's on another level to Forza when you get premium cars on premium tracks but distinctly PS2 in a standard car on a standard track. I hate the 800 standard cars with PS2 textures and cardboard cut-out cockpits, which reduces the usable car list to 200 for me. I hate the standard vs premium concept in general, both the cars and tracks, and the frame-rate drops during weather or night racing, or on a crowded track. Forza is more consistent and smooth graphically. No track or car looks any worse or better than any other and the 60fps frame rate keeps it smooth.

Tracks - GT5 has Spa, Monza and Monaco, but overall it has less real-world tracks than Forza, and the likes of Silverstone, Catalunya, Mugello, Road America and Infineon tip the track list in FM4's favour personally.

GT5 has no livery editor and less advanced customisation and tuning options, which is a big deal to me.

Neither game is perfect in the end. GT5 does have a solid online mode though, with some better lobby options whereas Forza is atrocious. I genuinely didn't expect that to be the case.:confused:

Last edited:
I don't understand why there are five of the same car in the game and the liveries and tuning set-ups are not interchangeable. Crazy. The Mercedes is much easier because there is only one, and there was only one Audi in Forza 3 so I don't understand Turn 10's thinking here. Car list padding?

I agree that if you have a PS3 then you can't miss GT5 and I'd imagine it's dirt cheap now.

I've tried to get back into it but just can't. I don't totally agree with your appraisal. The physics are better in some ways. I like how it's easier to get out of shape under braking if your car is unbalanced, I really like the track-edge grip reduction which can spin a car if you put a wheel on the grass (Forza needs this), and the game models things like lift-off oversteer much better.

I don't like the braking model nor the brake tuning settings. It's easy to drive Forza without ABS, but unrealistically hard in GT5. You have to use ABS to be competitive and I don't like using assists. I don't like having to use a 900 degree steering model in a racing game (however this can be overcome with a Fanatec). I'm not keen on the slip-stream effect which is exaggerated.

Graphically it's on another level to Forza when you get premium cars on premium tracks but distinctly PS2 in a standard car on a standard track. I hate the 800 standard cars with PS2 textures and cardboard cut-out cockpits, which reduces the usable car list to 200 for me. I hate the standard vs premium concept in general, both the cars and tracks, and the frame-rate drops during weather or night racing, or on a crowded track. Forza is more consistent and smooth graphically. Not track or car looks any worse or better than any other and the 60fps frame rate keeps it smooth.

Tracks - GT5 has Spa, Monza and Monaco, but overall it has less real-world tracks than Forza, and the likes of Silverstone, Catalunya, Mugello, Road America and Infineon tip the track list in FM4's favour personally.

GT5 has no livery editor and less advanced customisation and tuning options, which is a big deal to me.

Neither game is perfect in the end. GT5 does have a solid online mode though, with some better lobby options whereas Forza is atrocious. I genuinely didn't expect that to be the case.:confused:

Can't argue with any of that, it all comes down to personal preference really. I prefer GT5's iterations of Suzuka, Nurburgring GP and Nordschleife and I prefer GT5's exclusive tracks over Forza's (Monza, Spa, Monaco, Fuji). If they could add Catalunya and Silverstone into that I'd be very happy.

Like you say, neither is perfect though. If you could marry the best aspects of each game it would be one hell of a title. I wonder which game / franchise will get it ALL right first........if they ever do?

Sorry to hijack your thread:blush:

Carry on!

Can't argue with any of that, it all comes down to personal preference really. I prefer GT5's iterations of Suzuka, Nurburgring GP and Nordschleife and I prefer GT5's exclusive tracks over Forza's (Monza, Spa, Monaco, Fuji). If they could add Catalunya and Silverstone into that I'd be very happy.

Like you say, neither is perfect though. If you could marry the best aspects of each game it would be one hell of a title. I wonder which game / franchise will get it ALL right first........if they ever do?

Sorry to hijack your thread:blush:

Carry on!

Can't argue with that. PD have done a stunning job with all of those tracks. They have a better eye for detail when modelling the track surface. Forza's Nurb GP is missing the new grandstand and rollercoaster along the start finish straight, as well as the correct chicane layout before the final turn. Forza's Nordschleife is miles off (they used the model supplied by the PGR team) being realistic, plus GT5 has the mighty Nurb 24hr layout which combines the 'ring and the GP circuit.

Spa is a masterpiece, as is Monza and Monaco. Fuji is an awesome track.

Anyone up for a 24hr la mans, you'll need two mates 8 hour sessions each:devil:

Seriously though, I cant thank the guys enough who put their time into organising theses events! JZ, Matt are the only two I've had so far but I have been watching the thread for sometime and see most of you organising them, i wouldnt know where to start.
I'm sure we will all have bad race nights! Hey that's racing, I hear you guys saying it all the time, and to reiterate what redboy says above, it's good to see the lower order in the top half of the table from time to time, it keeps you hardcore honest:devil:
There is not much we can do about lag and drop outs, that's just an inherent part of playing games online, and all the patches in the world will never fix it, its a game not real life, let's not get too worked up about a game lads, it great we can all hook up together for a bit of fun and I for one hope these racing nights continue in every class of car.

Right group hug:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom