DSP2070 and Dolby Digital

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by danmax, Nov 9, 2002.

1. danmax

danmax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anybody help me? Can I attach a DD Decoder to this amp? I've had a look at the back and it's all far too scary for me!!
    Can it be done or should I just ditch the amp and buy a new one?Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it's bog standard, then no, you can't.

You can have an upgrade though - Videotec do them, at £250 for 5.1, and £375 for 6.1.
    Buying a s/hd DSP2070 ready done is one thing though, but actually spending that much to upgrade one is another - I wouldn't do it personally.

Doesn't mean the 2070 is useless though - it's still a very capable performer.
    If you have space on your eqpt rack, you could pair it with something like a DSPAX630SE, which is around £280.
    That would handle centre front and rear surround/back channels, while the 2070 would handle the fronts. You also get DDEX/DTS (ES?) capability as well as proLogic2 etc. You'd probably notice an improvement in the preformance level of the 630 like this as well, as it would be relieved of having to supply the current for the front L&R at the same time.

It's either that, or flog it and get something more up to date.
    Sad, but it really won't fetch that much these days, especially unmodded.

3. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,386
    If you just want 5.1, buy a 2nd hand yammy:

Yamaha DSP 3090 (original flagship 5.1 amp, I got rid of mine a couple of months ago). Still a class act even now, but no DTS.

£200-£250 (and this is a bloody bargain).

Yamaha DSP A1:

Like the 3090 but with DTS, and some more power:D

A brilliant amp, this is what I have now. Except to pay between £250-£400.

Yamaha DSP A2:

Like the A1, but with less power. I used to have one of these as well, a great amp, but sounds more strident at high volumes vs the A1.

£250-£300.

In short, flog your 2070 on ebay for about £100-£150 and go and buy one of the above 2nd hand. The difference is huge:D

PS: I still cannot understand why people buy cheaper amps with 6.1 etc. For the same money the performance you can get puts them all in the shade.

[not alot of software with discrete 6.1, although for TV pro-logic II is very good].

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Can anybody help me? Can I attach a DD Decoder to this amp? I've had a look at the back and it's all far too scary for me!!

Nope. Only from the DSP-A1 onwards you get a 5.1 input.
    Modifications to the 2070 and 3090 can be done but are IMHO too costly.
    Also stand-alone DD decoders aren't really cheap and only available as second hand.

Can it be done or should I just ditch the amp and buy a new one?

Take Smurfies advise ...

5. dis

dis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    hi smurrfin wonder if you can help i've got yamaha 2070 modified by videotec for 5.1 i had it put through a yamaha ddp1 processor/demodulator when i was useing a pioneer cld 2950 ld player,
    and then a pioneer dv 535 dvd player i got great bass from that set up,
    but now i've got a sony s550 blueray player going into the 2070 and i've lost the base
    some people say turn down the db on the speakers by 10 db i tried this but it did not work,
    any idea what i could now any help would be much appreciated thank you....dis