DSP question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by braidkid, Mar 8, 2005.

1. braidkid

braidkid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How many of you use the DSP (digital sound processing) feature for your movies versus straight THX or DTS processing? I'm having a hard time determining which sounds better. On what hand the DSP makes the sound more lively but the echoes annoy me.

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    Erm.... there is no such thing as THX processing - THX is a quality standard not a format - ie if a manufactures equipment produces sound within a set levels & tolerances then they can say (after paying a large sum of money) that it is THX certified.

At the moment I use DTS where available and DD when DTS isnt or DTS Neo:6 for stereo sources as to my ears these give the best sound (my set up is pure AV and no music). Currently my rear speakers arent wired and so 5.1 sound from these are fine. Will have to investigate the other options once I am back up to a 7.1

3. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I steer well clear of any processing effects on DD and DTS sources. I use Neo:6 on stereo or Pro-Logic sources, but I figure that a sound engineer knows more about how a movie should sound than my amp does.
    I guess I'm saying if you're stuck with a stereo source then there may be a reason to use DSP, but the rest of the time steer clear.
    Just my 2c.

4. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    On some ups you do have THX processing that you can use ontop of your DD or DTS. All it does is change the EQ or the signal, more then likly making it less bright.

5. Jackam

Jackam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use 'Straight' at all times. Although I find with some old or poorly mastered DVDs a DSP mode can help. Selecting THX does change the sound, it sets the sub xover to 80hz and rolls off the treble.

6. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    THX processing does up to four things:

1.) Re-equalization (Re-EQ) This is supposed to compensate for the brightness of sound in movie sound. Movie sound is mixed in dubbing stages designed to resemble the acoustic environment of a (good) movie theater, and the sound is equalized to a standardized high-frequency rolloff, the X-curve. Re-EQ attenuates high frequencies in the front channels using a shelf-type curve adapted from the X-curve, but made suit a home environment.

2.) Timbre matching This does the same for the surround channels as Re-equalization does for the front channels, but with respect to the different speaker placement. The side surrounds are compensated further because of the greater directness of sound from those speakers.

3.) Decorrelation This compensates for surround speaker placement. If you're in the sweet spot, you may tend to get an in-the-head or directly-above-your-head effect from those sounds, and if you're closer to one surround speaker than the other, the Haas effect causes you to almost exclusively hear surround content from that speaker. Decorrelation adds a phase-shift to the left and right surround channels in response to their similarity, so to reduce this problem.

4.) Adaptive Speaker Array (ASA) This lets you use the back speakers in a 7.1 system to reproduce the left and right surround channels with 5.1 content, and to simulate ITU-R surround speaker placement through the typical 7.1 home theater speaker placement. ASA is available only in the Ultra2 and Select2 standards.

THX also has a trademarked variation of EX, which they and Dolby developed in collaboration. Hence the term THX Surround EX. THX had exclusive rights to license 'official' EX decoding for home products for I believe 2 years, before Dolby could start marketing it themselves.

I use THX processing on some movies, but if they sound too muffled when it's active, I turn it off. It is probably made worse by that I have a garbage one-way, two cone center speaker with abysmal frequency response. With a center speaker that bad, re-equalization is redundant...

I have almost stopped using 'Movie Theater' modes since I upgraded my amp. They were useful for masking the atrocious behavior of Dolby Pro Logic, but for discrete 5.1 and above they feel a bit too lively.