DSP modes on Yamaha receiver!?

V

vanwel

Hi,

I've just bought myself a Yamaha RX-V1400RDS receiver and I really love it!
However, some things aren't clear to me.

1. The manual says that you will get some message on the display when you feed the receiver a DD or DTS track. It doesn't.
2. The manual says that Home Theater Spectacle will usually give you the best result when listening to a DD or DTS track.
I find it sound very strange, hollow...
Further more (also with a lot of other modes), it uses the surround much, MUCH less than with DD, DTS or THX mode. It's almost like he doesn't use the surrounds at all! He does, but almost not audible.
3. When I set the receiver to DTS, it always jumps to Neo 6 Music. I don't understand that! A light with DTS turns on however!
4. What is better to choose, DTS or THX???

Please help me with these questions, that would get me a long way!

Thanks!!!

Hi
i have a yamaha amp and it will only display what you feed it.
if you feed it a stereo signal from a dvd disc and select dts it will play it back using neo 6 processing.
Have u connected it correctly to the dvd player it does seem a little daunting when u first use an amp but its really straight forward,
ps make shure u send dd or dts from the dvd and the amp is configured the recive the signal via coax or optical.
cheers
:smashin:

Hi vegaphil,

I selected DTS from the dvd player and then selected DTS on the AMP. It then says Neo 6 on the amp, but it is definitaly DTS!!!
That's very strange!?

Originally posted by vanwel
Hi vegaphil,

I selected DTS from the dvd player and then selected DTS on the AMP. It then says Neo 6 on the amp, but it is definitaly DTS!!!
That's very strange!?

If its saying Neo 6 then its not outputting true DTS, The small DTS logo shows on any DTS mode including NEO 6 so its not getting a DTS digital signal !!

What DVD player have you got ?

How have you connected the DVD player to the Amp?

You need to connect via the optical output of the DVD to the DVD-in optical input of the AMP - or -

The digital co-ax out of the DVD into the digital co-ax in of the AMP. - ( see below )

If you have connected the DVD with a pair of phono cables you will not get DD or DTS.

CO-AX - if you have connected via co-ax you need to set the amp so that the DVD channel is 'mapped' to the co-ax input.

The Yamaha only has one co-ax input and it is set to the CD channel (stereo).

Check the amp manual, it will tell you how to change your AMP input setting so that the co-ax input is mapped to the DVD and not the CD.

Neo 6 is the DTS equivelant of Dolby Pro-Logic Surround. It basically takes a stereo signal and converts it to psuedo surround. This confirms that the amp is only recieving a stereo signal.

If you were getting a digital signal and you set the amp mode to AUTO, you will see the display change from Neo 6 to DTS.

Remember to test this with a movie and not just a DVD menu as most menus are not in DTS / DD, once you get sorted leave the amp on auto and you will see the display jump from Neo 6 to DD or DTS when going from the menu to the film.

Let us know how you get on.

Hope this helps.

Hi guys, thanks for your help so far!

If its saying Neo 6 then its not outputting true DTS, The small DTS logo shows on any DTS mode including NEO 6 so its not getting a DTS digital signal !!
But why can I clearly hear a plain coming from front to back, when it doesn't really receive a dts signal? I understand that neo makes surround from stereo, but surely it can't create anything like that, right?

What DVD player have you got ?
[/quote
It's an Arcam DV88+

How have you connected the DVD player to the Amp?
It's now connected via coax, but I have used optical before that.
It doesn't say anything about mapping to dvd in the manual however. It says 'dvd' next to the coax input. I have three of them. Unlike my old RX-V440 which had een optical for dvd en coax for cd. So this should be alright.

Neo 6 is the DTS equivelant of Dolby Pro-Logic Surround. It basically takes a stereo signal and converts it to psuedo surround. This confirms that the amp is only recieving a stereo signal.
Then again... why do I hear explosions everywhere and why can I hear a plane coming from front to back (Xmen 1, when they fly to the statue of liberty)? Is Neo that good? It can't be!

If you were getting a digital signal and you set the amp mode to AUTO, you will see the display change from Neo 6 to DTS.
Although I do believe I'm hearing dts, when I put it on dts it still jumps to Neo. And when I select auto, it stays on my last used dsp program. So strange!!

I hope you can help me further. Thanks!

edit: By the way! When I select THX, then it doesn't jump to Neo, but stays on THX. Just to complete the information.

edit2: Some additional, probably useful, information: The manual says that 'when this unit detects dolby digital signals, the following display appears for a few seconds. This shows how the signal level is being corrected to become -27dB >>> DialNorm ** +4dB'. Well, I've never seen this!!!
Boohoohoo.... where's my real DTS???

You can hear planes front to back because pro-logic and neo 6 are surround formats.

They have front L & R channels, front centre and a rear effects channel.

The information for all channels is encoded in the stereo signal and the amp decodes it.

It seems like it is a setting on your DVD player. I remember something about PCM or linear sound mentioned in my DVD player manual but I can't remember what it all meant.

If you are outputting a digital signal from the DVD and your amp is on auto it will definaltly not go to Neo , it will change to DD or DTS. If you are sure that the amp's input is correctly set with the co-ax or optical cable then I would say it is definatly a DVD player setting that needs adjusting.

Perhaps post this topic again in the DVD players section and see what other people have the same DVD player and what it is set to.

Thanks for your answer!

So there must be something with the dvd. I've never looked at it really! Hmmm... I found Neo sounding pretty cool, I wonder how DTS will sound when it works!
It's my first surround receiver, so I have no clue what to expect from it. Maybe if one of you guys heard the Neo, you'd immediately say it wasn't right.

Greetings!
Menno.
PS: I'll let you know how I get on!

I forgot to say: When playing a dvd, like Xmen, I pressed the audio button and saw it changing from DD to DTS. Hmmm... well... I'm gonna check it some more this afternoon...

When you press the audio button it will cycle through the audio tracks on the dvd. If you have not got the DVD player set up properly you will still only get neo, not DD or DTS regardless of what it says when you press the audio button.

You will be amazed when you get the system set up properly.

I am also new at this and my system took weeks to set up just right - sounds fantastic now though.

Hi!

I just remembered something about PCM on my Arcam. And then I realized I turned it to PCM someday. Just turned it to bitstream en now it works! Great! Much much better than Neo!!!
Thanks for all the help! Now I'm gonna enjoy my surround!

Greetings,
Menno.
PS: I also set my Xbox right now. That one was on stereo too!

vanwel,
Glad to hear you finally got her up and running!!! The 1400 is a great amp.

You mentioned this is your first surround sound receiver but....

Unlike my old RX-V440 which had een optical for dvd en coax for cd. So this should be alright.

Did you upgrade to the 1400 from a 440? If so I'm curious as to what the reason was (apart from the fact that it IS a better amp!)

Markie Boy

Hi Mark,

Well, actually it's a little bit stupid. I've been doubting a lot about which receiver to buy. I knew that the Arcam AVR300 would be coming out soon and since I have the Arcam A85 and the Arcam DV88+, I was hoping to buy an Arcam again. Only two minor problems: april is far away and to be honest, I doubted if I could afford the Arcam.
But still I planned to buy one in may or june. So I went out and bought myself a RXV440, cheap, but good value for money. I figured I could keep myself happy with it til I would get the Arcam.
Well...... I unpacked it and then I saw it didn't accept banana plugs! That really ****** me off! So as a temporary solution, I put the banana plugs in the place where you'd normally put the wires. I tested the unit and it sounded pretty cool (also Neo as I think of it ;-)), but I didn't like the fact I couldn't use my banana plugs. And no way I was going to cut the wires! I searched on this forum and found out that you could use a screwdriver to remove the caps. However, I didn't really want to do that, not knowing for sure if that would work. What if it didn't? No way the store would take it back.

Hmmm... yada yada yada... and still you don't know why I upgraded... I'll hurry ;-)

It was decision time. I took a look at my budget again and decided that the Arcam just wasn't going to happen. Therefore I decided to buy a substantial better and more expensive receiver, knowing that would be enough for me for at least a year or so.
I went out to buy it the next day and asked the salesman about the banana plugs. He didn't know but tried it for me in te store. It worked fine, so I bought it.
I must say, although I had very little time to listen to the RX-V440, I could already hear a bit more detail in the RX-V1400. That was in Neo mode of course! I never heard the RX-V440 at DD/DTS!

PS: I bought the 1400 in another store than the 440. I still have to return this one! :suicide: Hopefully I can get my money back....:laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom