DSP modes - anyone use these?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by djjimbob, Dec 28, 2006.

1. djjimbob

djjimbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Morning everyone,

I've got my first amp setup just recently - a Yamaha RX-V2700 and am impressed with the number of "Cinema DSP" modes that are available but was wondering if anybody uses any of them?

The music ones are fairly stupid apart from the The Cellar Club which is quite entertaining for accoustic instrumentation & vocals - it really does feel like the sound is coming from a squashed down ceiling. God knows how they do it!

But the movie modes can really make a difference. I say difference as I'm not convinced I should be using them or not really. Let's say a disc comes with a great DTS soundtrack - should I let the amp tinker with it or not?

As an example I watched the first few episodes of 24 Season 4 last night. The mix is Dolby Digital 5.1 (I think!) and I let it play using no DSP, then Movie (Standard), then Movie (Spectacle).

DD 5.1 straight was good stuff. Very bombastic, good use of sub and rears with some pinpoint steering. Not exactly subtle but that's 24 for you.

Movie (Standard) is supposed to reproduce a modern cinema with a large soundstage, great steering etc etc. It pretty much did what it said on the tin. The steering was phenomenal but perhaps a little too tight in the centre. The fronts were left out for much of the dialogue. It also ramped up the subwoofer and the general volume was a touch louder I think.

Movie (Spectacle) is supposed to reproduce a 70mm film soundstage. Again, good results. It introduced a very very slight delay i.e. lip sync was the tiniest touch out, but the sound was even louder and more booming. Less focused on the steering though which was nice.

So, who uses these DSP modes and who leaves well alone?

Jimbob

2. DrLargePants

DrLargePants
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I'd say no. The only time I use them is when its some nasty mono soundtrack and I want to fill the room a bit more. They seem to make DTS/DD tracks just sound really splashy and horrible.

Whats that amp like anyway ? My old Sherwood is dieing a death and needs replacing pronto!

3. djjimbob

djjimbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
  4. DrLargePants

DrLargePants
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :oops:, didn't realise how expensive they were! My budget is only £200, lol!

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    on DTS i definitely dont use any of my 3803's options, havnt bothered really with DD either.....

mostly use PL2 for TV or non DD/DTS stuff but sometimes use DTS:Neo6.....

the Game DSP is actually good fun with some games but i mostly use headphones, or with the 360 its Dolby Digital...lol...

all the other DSP's are pretty weak sounding so i dont bother....i think there is an extra wide one, probably a 70mm type thing, havnt used it in a long time though.....

6. MI55ION

MI55ION

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +686
    The use of DSPs seem to be very popular in the US, don't ask why :suicide: