1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DSP-E800 Upgrade???

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by acanning, Mar 23, 2003.

1. acanning

acanning
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone, I’m looking for a bit of advice.

I currently own a Yamaha DSP-E800 linked to a Meridian system which powers the front speakers. This works fine except that I can’t get Pro-Logic II as the Yamaha processor was released before that format was available. I am therefore considering an upgrade to something like a Denon 3803, NAD 752 or one of the Pioneer amps. I’m not sure whether it is worth me spending all that money on one of these great AV amps when I will be sending the main front output to my Meridian system. Would I be better off buying a cheaper AV amp with pre-outs or am I on the right track with the models mentioned above. Secondly, is it worth the hassle just to get PLII – we do watch a fair amount of Sky TV. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,204
    Good question I too am in a similar situation, but only have Pro-Logic, coupled to an Audiolab amp and I too was looking toward a Denon 3803. Last year at a Hi-Fi show I was told we were the only market for stand alone processes.

3. acanning

acanning
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Garrett, I thought it was a good question too but it doesn't seem to have attracted many replies at the moment. I am leaning towards a 3803 as it seems well specified especially in the main amplification - which I won't be using!!!!! hence the doubt. Have also thought about one of the NAD boxes (752 or 762) they look fantastic (wish they did silver) but again a lot of emphasis goes into the main amplifiers. Why is this so complicated?!!!

Someone please help - I'm getting desperate:suicide:

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,204
    I have been reading about one amp that said that the amp was a bit of a let down on stereo music but got good results on the surround side and in all got nearly full marks. (So maybe an amp is the way to go). Just for the moment I cannot remember which it was but I will get back to you on it if no one else replies in the mean time.

Don’t get too desperate I think the Denon could be at a premium at present although discounted at many places.

5. acanning

acanning
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply Garrett. I'm using the term desperate in it's broadest possible sense as my current system really isn't that bad. That's the problem with reading these damn forums, you tend to think you are missing out if you don't have all the latest gear!!

6. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it's just a replacement for your DSPE800, but with more formats etc, I'd consider either the Yamaha DSPAX630 AV amp (around £270 delivered) or the Sony STRDB1080 AV receiver (around £370).
    The Yamaha does DPL2, and has 6 channel capability too - DDEX.
    It's DTS-ES compatible (but not pukka DTS-ES, only a matrix version - whether this important or not is up to you - if you don't run a rear centre speaker, I guess it's irrelevant anyway)

The Sony does all the latest formats (DPL2, DDEX, DTSES, DTSNeo6, DTS24/96) and is also a 6 channel amp. Has a radio too!

Both have a full set of preouts for all channels, so can easily be used with a seperate stereo amp like your Meridian.

The only thing to check is that there are no features you currently use/need on your E800 (not overly familiar with it - heard it years back, but never really played around with it) which aren't present on the replacement - none really spring to mind, but check first.
    Also check that there are no "must have" features for you on the Denon 3803 (such as it's video conversion, 7 channel amp capability etc etc).

Used purely as a DPL2 upgrade for your E800, personally I think the 3803 would be a waste of money really, but it's your money.

PS - as to the question of whether DPL2 is worth it (and Neo6 if you have it), only you can really answer that.
    All I can say is that IMO both are a fair improvement on vanilla DPL - the rear soundfield is more convincing (it's a bit thin and unconvincing listening to plain DPL now).

7. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a DSPE800 linked to my Linn gear, similar to yourself.

There was a thread on this very topic a little while ago, it appears that Yamaha have no intention of replacing the 800 as the market for add-on processors has almost vanished with the advent of better/more affordable AV amps.

To add all the bells and whistles therefore we need to be considering a whole AV amp.

IMHO I don't consider this a waste, I could still retain better stereo performance whilst adding DPLII etc not to mention vastly improved bass management facilities ie user definable crossovers etc.

8. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Deckard

I didn't actually mean that upgrading his E800 would be a waste of money "period" (that's up to acanning) - more that if all he wants is a DPL2 upgrade to his current E800, then the 3803 would be overkill IMO, and therefore a bit of a waste. The two units mentioned will do the job for half the price, or less.
    He mentioned that he felt the E800 performance was "fine", just lacking some newer formats, notably DPL2, and then asked if he should save some cash by getting a cheaper AV amp than the 3803.
    In this case, I think yes!

Yes, the Denon has more features, more power, more channels, possibly superior processing etc etc, but if he isn't going to use these.........
    As for performance, well that's a bit subjective, but as the AV amp/recvr will only be used for movies/TV etc (his Meridian system will be handling stereo duties), and then will only be driving centre and rears, then I suspect he'd find any advantages the 3803 has over the two mentioned, marginal at best. Not too sure about the Yamaha, but the Sony has full bass management facilities (and is available in silver :) ).

However, if he specifically wants something that the 3803 has which the others don't, then fine - I did mention that.

9. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't get me wrong Mike, my posting wasn't intended to be critical of yours! I was suggesting that any quality AV amp used as an add-on would be worthwhile, I wasn't intending on a model specific comment.

Cheers :D

10. carter

carter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    acanning....

FYI.. NAD do the T742 in titanium - not sure if 752/762 out yet but I'm sure these will follow soon

11. acanning

acanning
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, many thanks for your comments - you have sort of confirmed what I was thinking - Amps like the 3803 would be overkill for my situation. MikeK, I had not considered the Sony Amp but it seems to have everything I would ever need so I may give that a go. The only other question for me now is whether I wait for the DVD-A digital connection to become more affordable before I take the plunge. I don't have a DVD-A player at the moment but I see it as the next upgrade after the amp - problems problems!!!