1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DSP-AX750SE VOLUME Question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jmsuch, Mar 29, 2005.

1. jmsuch

jmsuch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not sure if my setup is working correctly. Can people who have this receiver advise as to average DB level. when playing a dvd for example on 5.1 I am at -35DB or lower. I seem to have to crank the volume up a long way before anything is really heard. Digi Sat is often around -45DB.

Any thoughts?

Room size average 15 x 13 FT

Cheers

Jools

2. reservoir51

reservoir51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Common problem is the level settings of each speaker not being correctly set. Try pressing the 'level' button on the front panel and you should be able to cycle through the level settings for each speaker set and adjust each set accordingly. For my fronts, I have them set at +5dB, while my centre and rears are at +3dB and subwoofer at +3dB. Listening volumes range from -30 to -25 dB for music and -25 to -20 dB for movies.

reservoir51

3. Jackam

Jackam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is no right or wrong if it sounds good. Unless everyone is listening in an anechoic chamber with matching ancillaries and the same source material, expect your setup to differ from everyone else's.

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    This might well be normal and the same applies to my system; reason is that the signal from DVD has very high dynamics.

If you think the overall volume becomes too loud (especially at night) activate the Dynamic Range Compression, sometimes also called "Midnight Modus" or similar. On Yamaha amps MAX means no compression, so choose the opposite setting.

5. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Your receiver is normal. It does go up to over 0db, remember. I can't remember exactly what it goes up to because I've never taken mine past +5db!!

6. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Don't know what number it goes to - we listen at levels similar to those you listed - but we have got caught out by a child of a visiting friend who couldn't hear anything, so cranked it up to 'full max' (his words). He couldn't hear anything as it wasn't on DVD. We missed this until much later when we turned it on, found it wasn't set to DVD and switched it during some big film soundtrack music and found ourselves blown to the back of the room by the noise. Doesn't seem to have done any harm to the speakers (increadably) - and I always wondered what it sounded like if it was as loud as it could be - now I know!

Cheers

Greg