DSLRS and High Humidity

Pete Delaney

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone:hiya:

Hypothetically, would a Canon 350 and the lenses in my signature be suitable for life in an equatorial/rain forest country of around 85% humidity? Or would mould or other problems plague the kit:rolleyes: I'm talking about a period of a few years in such an environment. Ta

Pete:thumbsup:

Dont now about DSLR but when I was in Cairns and north Australia generally late last year, humidty was an issue with my point and shoot canon in that when ever I turned it on, the lens misted/steamed over for a short while.

Also, UV is a big thing and I noted that a lot of shots come out looking over exposed.

Pete.

Captain Benefit said:
Dont now about DSLR but when I was in Cairns and north Australia generally late last year, humidty was an issue with my point and shoot canon in that when ever I turned it on, the lens misted/steamed over for a short while.

Also, UV is a big thing and I noted that a lot of shots come out looking over exposed.

Pete.

mmmm, cheers for that, I was wondering about the insides of the lens getting mould or something similar?

technofan said:
Hello everyone:hiya:

Hypothetically, would a Canon 350 and the lenses in my signature be suitable for life in an equatorial/rain forest country of around 85% humidity? Or would mould or other problems plague the kit:rolleyes: I'm talking about a period of a few years in such an environment. Ta

Pete:thumbsup:

I guess in such a harsh climate, professional bodies and sealed prime lenses would be safest...and hugely expensive..:eek:

As far as I know, the 350 is NOT waterproof or airtight, nor are your L lenses as they are zooms, so they will draw moist air in and out when operated.

Johndm said:
I guess in such a harsh climate, professional bodies and sealed prime lenses would be safest...and hugely expensive..:eek:

As far as I know, the 350 is NOT waterproof or airtight, nor are your L lenses as they are zooms, so they will draw moist air in and out when operated.

Yeah cheers John, I was thinking along the same lines as you, I just wanted further opinion:rolleyes: Well I'll know in around 3 weeks if I am going overseas for a few years. If so I'll have to break the piggy bank and sell/replace my kit:suicide:

Have you tried contacting Canon for advice? They would be the best to advise, otherwise, try a photography forum. I use www.dpreview.com , they have many members from all over the world, I am sure someone would live in a very humid area and would be able to give advice. Also, your camera manual should give you min and max environment specifications.
I have a Nikon D50, as soon as i can locate the manual, I will check what it says in there about humidity and temperature levels.
Allan

Yeah cheers John, I was thinking along the same lines as you, I just wanted further opinion Well I'll know in around 3 weeks if I am going overseas for a few years. If so I'll have to break the piggy bank and sell/replace my kit

Keep us informed.....Where may you be going?????

Pete :)

Captain Benefit said:
Keep us informed.....Where may you be going?????

Pete :)

Here's a dilema...if I tell you it's sods law that I'll end up staying in Blighty, if I don't tell you perhaps I'll have better odds of going. What to do.....:rolleyes:

bibamus said:
Have you tried contacting Canon for advice? They would be the best to advise, otherwise, try a photography forum. I use www.dpreview.com , they have many members from all over the world, I am sure someone would live in a very humid area and would be able to give advice. Also, your camera manual should give you min and max environment specifications.
I have a Nikon D50, as soon as i can locate the manual, I will check what it says in there about humidity and temperature levels.
Allan

I'll try that site Allan ta.

Pete

The 20d can be made pretty weather proof by taping up the battery and memory card compartment and anything up from that is gonna be robust enough to survive. Few things you have to remember though and thats not to let the equipment change temperature too quickly, dont let it cool down or warm up too fast. Silica Gel is your friend out there, get bags of it, not the tiny ones you get inside camera bags, get some decent sized ones, and check them, if they go soft then replace them (some people bake thier gel's once they go squidgy to alow it to be used again)
If your going to be around water then try wrapping the lens barrel in plastic with elastic bands,keeps spray off, you may also want to enclose the body like this too
But most of all... silica gel. Keep what your not using sealed properly

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom