1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DSLR Sensor cleaning

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by RobertP, Apr 7, 2005.

1. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been using my 20D with various lenses and even a reversing attachment for using standard lenses for super macro.
    I guess all that changing let a bit of dust in and it found its way on to the sensor. It looked like a small horseshoe shaped fibre and clearly showed on a lot of shots ...and it moved around a bit.
    So I got a blower bulb thing and puffed the sensor as directed in the manual. Bad move :mad: . The fibre went and was replaced with multiple dots.
    I then found the copperhill method pages and read through it all and it seemed to make sense. I got the stuff together and had a go. It started off being scary but turned out to be pretty easy.
    I took shots to check progress as I went. If anyone is interested I made a quick web page up with some notes and the (original size but more compressed) images.
    The page is here

The blower also got some specks of dust onto the ground glass screen. I chased them around with a static charged brush (charged with canned air) a couple of times to shift them. The sensor was easier! All spotless now :D

2. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    dont EVER use compressed air to clean the insides of a DSLR, the propellant used can damage the CCD. use compressed air to charge the brush to remove the dust prior to cleaning

apparently if you have a canon and its still under warranty take it to a service centre and they should clean it for you.

better than ****ing it yourself if your not sure what your doing..

have a look here - http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-6460-7296

3. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    do yourself a favour and edit the page to say that you are not liable for damage caused to digital cameras caused by people following your instructions. you know what people are like these days... :)

4. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :)
    Note for anyone that thinks I'm giving lessons added.

I have read a lot on sensor cleaning. Also a number of comments that the canon service sent it back dirtier than it went in.

I don't want to be scared to keep changing lenses and trying things out. To me thats part of the beauty of dslr. If you keep opening the body dust will get in - so learning to clean it properly seemed a good idea. You are not cleaning the sensor in any case... you clean a glass cover that is also the IR filter.

5. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Yep i only clean when i have too...but have found the copperhill method works for me.