DSLR Macro Vs Compact Macro

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reading some conflicting and vague comments elsewhere on this. But why...or so it appears...does my 90mm Macro lens not appear to be as good as my TZ10 or X10 at close up macro work ? Not quite a correct statement i know but Its harder to focus...difficult to get the distance right as well as the exposure.

Perhaps its a dumb question but i quote like "technical" close ups and i find myself reaching for my compacts rather than the better quality DSLR.

I must be doing something wrong I know....any advice appreciated.

The big difference for me is the DOF. It's tiny on a DSLR when working at macro distances. You need to stop down a lot and focus needs to be bang on. With a compact camera you may be able to work wide open at faster shutter speeds and lower ISO.

I find the X100 reasonably good for quasi macro as it goes, got some decent butterfly shots this week.

Lets put it this way. Your compact aint gonna do this....

Credit to the shooters.

Use a flash and its easy to get shots like this with some patience.

I must admit that I really should get a ring flash....it holds me back a lot with my A580. And its all about having the right equipment I guess. My little TZ10 does alright......... :thumbsup:

But if they are pro shots then I have no chance.....first one is stunning.

Patience is a good word though....setting up, using my macro rail etc....I need to work on it for sure as I love macro shots

Dont need a ringflash, get a bog standard cheap manual off camera flash and make/buy a cheap bracket. £50 tops. Dont need a rail with a flash you can achieve good shutter speeds. Simple technique and a bit of practice.

If you need help just PM me.

I took this with nothing but a reversed 15 yr old manual focus/aperture lens and pop up camera flash, handheld on an overcast day. Macro doesnt have to be expensive or difficult.

Like that fly.... terrific detail

I agree about it not being expensive. I have got some good shots with my A580 last summer but my insects seem to be a bit nervous around me...have they heard about the dead fly collection ?....but close ups of in animate objects and flowers came out well in general.

Ha ha, dead fly collection. Your name is buzzing around the garden (ho ho). Bugs tend to stay still more before rain in my experience.

I'm hoping for some breaks in the rain..... and reminding myself of optimum distances from the object with the very small focus distance available. I must remember to move the camera back and forward to get the focus and not rely on tweaking the lens barrel and getting frustrated

Correct. A flash will allow smaller apertures so your DOF isnt razor thin. Much easier to nail focus and youll get much nicer shots.

..and of course the camera knows there's a flash plugged in

A 42AM afaik will trigger wirelessly with your A580, Jim can confirm, I used to shoot flash in hand to direct light, camera in other as the Sonys not that heavy and get some decent results, otherwise get a bracket or make one.

Seems the 42 does fire wirelessly with A580

The A580 only seems to trigger off camera flashes as a cell. So your pop up needs to be up and fire to trigger the main flash which isnt really an issue. But the Sony guys will tell you more.

Neat.... guess i'll need some sort of off camera mount as well. But it wouldn't actually be a bad investment anyway.

I use a Gary Fong copy diffuser which has proved invaluable in flash shots.

Look on ebay loads of flash brackets. Probably set you back 10-15 quid.

I'll do that.

Just retook my tiny fly using 90mm, tripod and Jessops flash with Fong diffuser. So impressive in IQ that even my low moral standards prevent me from posting it...its that gruesome.

So, proper lighting.....patience and you CAN get good quality macro shots without throwing your camera in the bin.....

I'll do that.

Just retook my tiny fly using 90mm, tripod and Jessops flash with Fong diffuser. So impressive in IQ that even my low moral standards prevent me from posting it...its that gruesome.

So, proper lighting.....patience and you CAN get good quality macro shots without throwing your camera in the bin.....

Don't believe you without photos :p

Sorry to but in, but what is the advanced of having the flash off camera on a bracket (still attached to the camera?)...

You can angle the flash head/light toward your subject better, change light angles, if it's on the hot shoe you can't point the head at your subject.

If it's the Jessops 360AFD you can set that to slave and trigger with popup flash, just set FEC on the camera to -2 or whatever it allows you to do and maybe stick a bit paper in front of it.

You can angle the flash head/light toward your subject better, change light angles, if it's on the hot shoe you can't point the head at your subject.

I'm probably having a dim moment, but my flash angles down and points at the subject just fine??

...also helps avoid shadow from longer lenses or lenses +tubes/TC's

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom