DSLR Camera Insurance

Derkster

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am about to jet off on a nice sunny holiday soon and i want to take my camera. When i read the policy documents it states that i could only claim for £250 for a single item.

Now the camera is worth £600 so i won't have enough cover, so what has everybody else done? Have you risked it? or could you point me to where i could buy insurance to cover it for a single trip. I don't want to purchase insurance for 12 months if i can help it.

Ta in advance..:thumbsup:

I can't see how you can get adequate cover without some form of extra payment. Call up your insurers and see whether they can offer a special single trip extension to your insurance.

Look at adding personal possessions insurance onto your household and contents - you might have it already. If you don't, it doesn't cost much extra.

That way, your camera, laptop, iphone, bicycle etc are insured whenever you are out and about - it's not just for holidays that you need that sort of cover.

Cheers,

Nigel

Unless the lens was the standard bundled item, ie it was a separate purchase even if bought at the same time, then the body & lens are two separate items.

Sorry, I've just realised that with a total value of £600, that wouldn't help you. I'll leave the post in, though, because it's worth remembering, but check the small print.

== EDIT ==
Also forgot to say that nheather's advice is good. Adding valuables to your contents cover can be much cheaper, and more comprehensive.

Also forgot to say that nheather's advice is good. Adding valuables to your contents cover can be much cheaper, and more comprehensive.

Certainly on my policy (Direct Line) it isn't just a matter of adding them but adding a new sub-policy (personal possessions).

The subtle difference, is if I added a camera to my Household and Contents then it would be covered it was stolen or damaged within my house.

But adding personal possessions covers it when I am out and about.

Personal possessions added about £20 to the cost of my policy.

Cheers,

Nigel

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom