dslr advice

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by urbantreemonkey, Dec 28, 2006.

1. urbantreemonkey

urbantreemonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey, i'm going to buy my first dslr this week and i would like to hear a few peoples comments, i know these sort of questions have been answered before but not seen many comments on the camera i have in mind.
    I have a budget of £400-£450.
    So that means the canon eos 350d, nikon d50 & d40, olympus-500 and the pentax k100d.
    Most people seem to be swayed towards the nikon and canon and i did think of getting the d40, its come down in price(£399) takes good images but the lack of af motor in the body means less choice of lenses that will work in af.
    Im swaying towards the pentax k100d,more than the d-40 or d-50, its also £399 but has a anti shake system ( i like taking photos at gigs so that would be usefull) and it will accept a large range of older pentax lenses which means i can afford more lenses second hand.
    Does anyone on here have/ used the k100d and have any comments on it or on any of the others?
    many thanks shaun:)

2. Liquid101

Liquid101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,227
    I went for the D50, and given the choice again, having used all of the cameras, I would still go for the D50.

The Canon just feels too small in my hands, and doesn't handle as nicely. It's great camera, good results, just doesn't feel as nice.

The D40 seems like a strange idea to me. Not sure why Nkion bothered with it, especially as at the moment it costs more than the D50.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the Pentax. Both the Nikon and the Canon are much easier to buy for, with a wide range of lenses and accessories readily available.

I would say, Try the 350D and D50 and see which suits your hands the best.

3. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Any one but the D40:nono:
    With most places selling it for less than £500, 400D is within your budget : If you like the 350D youll love it:)

4. beachy

beachy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    agree with senu and liquid on this, you can't go wrong with the nikon or canon, apart from the D40 stay away from it there's no point in it, waste of time in my opinion unless it come,s down to about £300, one of the main things you have to do is go into a dealers and have a fondle of the canon 400D and the nikon D50 or D70, and see how they feel in your hands, then look at the feature's and decide what's best for you and your budget.

5. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    I'm very happy with my K100D. The anti-shake really works - I've taken about 1000 shots so far, and only 2 have been blurred!
    I tried the camera on a very stormy day, sitting in my car, parked on a cliff top. I opened the window, and took pictures on full zoom (70-200mm lens). The car was shaken violently by the wind, and I had problems holding the camera still. Only one blurred picture out of over 100 taken.

The choice of lenses doesn't seem to be limited to me.

The build quality is superb - makes the Canon look/feel very plasticky.

Some of the menu graphics are a bit crude - the only negative thing I can see with this camera.

6. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    The K100D is indeed the camera the *ist should have been:) And the OP did ask for user feed back on it

However the Sony A100 equally has anti-shake and is 10Mp ( compared to Pentax's 6Mp) and while you may arguably say those 4Mp don't result in more detail, I would rather have them. This also goes for the 400D. The Sony is just at the upper limits of the OPs budget though . Nikon did a pixel count jump with the costlier D80 to 10mp

Anti-shake is very useful but should ( just like IS on Canons lenses and VR on Nikons) not be used to avoid good shooting practices!;) . Im very sold on the concept but feel that the IS on lenses may be ultimately better ( at a price:devil: )

The "plasticity" feel of Canons budget offerings is very superficial as any long term user of the 350D will tell you they are quite sturdy.

In Pentaxs favour it seems to have a price advantage and reasonable low noise at High ISO though its RAW files are said to be huge. I don't know about lens range

In short all these cameras seem to offer a little more here and less there with all being very capable , close in performance and none "perfect":cool:

7. urbantreemonkey

urbantreemonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feed back everyone:) , its good to hear what the k100d is like from a owner as well.
    Like i said in my post, i'm swayed towards the k100d as i like to take shots at gigs and the anti shake would be a big benefit, its good at higher iso so good for gigs as well,its within my ( very small) budget and have read reviews in magazines and the dp review online and they were good but they said it was to expensive ( at £600 ) when it first came out.
    Now that its £399 does that mean it should be rated higher now its cheaper?
    I cant really afford more than £400 and i dont want to ignore the k100 just because it not a canon or nikon.
    I need to do a bit more thinking..............plus go try them out in a store.:)

8. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    DP review gave it a "Highly Recommended" rating and said it was value for money. The only other value for money comparison was with the K110D without anti shake which cost less

Don't ignore it: The *ist was a bit of a let down and allowed Canon and Nikon to get a head start but this model is that much better though its marketing seems to be understated .
    DSLR marketeers have only themselves to blame if its 6Mp rating is holding them back . Saying that, Nikon's new Baby DSLR : D40 is 6 Mp

Whatever you buy , don't part with the cash without trying it out in your own hands
    Good luck:thumbsup:

9. urbantreemonkey

urbantreemonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just found the k100d at warehouse express.com for £349.99:)
    Getting more tempted...................

10. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    The thing that put me off the A100 was the name on the front!
    It's Sony's fault that I was looking for a new camera. I was perfectly happy with my Nikon 5700, until it died. From what I've been able to find out, the fault is a dead sensor - made by Sony. Nikon will probably fix it FOC, though.
    Add to that the problems with exploding batteries, and a friend's problems with his last 2 Sony cameras, and I've gone off the brand.
    Of course, this may be totally irrelevant, as AFAIK the A100 is a Konica-Minolta...

I'm sure that the Canons are solidly built, and that the plastic look is just on the surface. It's a shame that they didn't spend a few more pennies on the finish. Cameras are very tactile objects, and the K100D just feels nice in the hands.

The K100D's RAW files are, indeed, pretty big. I've taken a few, and they've come out at about 33mb once they are transferred to the computer. Closer to 14mb on the card, IIRC. Fortunately, storage is currently very cheap.

11. palace

palace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    A shop on ebay has the K100D with two lenses for £499 if you wanted to push the boat out a bit. They are a company called SRC based watford way I think.

Was tempted with one of these but then thought i might wait until my next pay packet and get the K10D.

12. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    You're not converting them to TIFF are you?

13. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Yes, they are TIFFs - I can't see any way of avoiding this conversion.

I use a Mac Mini and iPhoto for viewing, and it can't handle RAW files. I have to import them using the Pentax software, and save as TIFF.

There is a RAW update for iPhoto, but I'm not sure whether it supports the Pentax format. You need to update OSX as well, something I'm not keen to do unless I know that it's going to work.

14. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    I would say that you need to invest in a good RAW converter to make the most of your images then. Something like Capture One LE, or Aperture if you're feeling flush.

What version of OSX are you running?

15. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    I'm one update behind - I think it's 10.4.8 - I'm in XP mode at the moment!

When I get good enough at taking pictures, I'll invest in some software.

16. urbantreemonkey

urbantreemonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So i finally made my mind up and bought the nikon d50 with kit lens and a tamrom 55-200.:D
    The nikon came in at £299 with 18-55 lens ( A grade refurbished from srsmicrosystems with full 12months guarantee) , the tamrom was £79 from same place.
    Cant wait to get it and start snapping!! :D

17. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    What a silly statement - at least back up your ludicrous view with some facts.

18. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    I ( think) I am entitled to my statements ( and view) , Silly, Ludicrous or not.;) I haven't said they are the gospel truth.

In like manner you are perfectly entitled to "love" the D40 and disagree with me without needing to qualify both the statement and my view of the camera

My main grouse with the D40 has to do with pricing, especially with a certain lack of features. If recent pricing has corrected that , launch pricing was (IMHO) irritating

If you find my statement that silly, perhaps you can be more helpful to the OP by just countering it with a less silly statement and non ludicrous view:rolleyes:
    I dont have a problem with your assesment of my view you have a right to it but iit is personal to you: Not everyone in the world is having a love affair with the D40

While I don't own the D40 (but have had long term use of the D70s) I'm entitled to feel Nikon has given some and taken some with the D40 but priced it too high (initially) .I dont think Im alone in thinking that
    If you feel that is tosh : just say why as you have done in a similar thread.

That way, the OP finds your own reasons helpful, then indirectly my "silly" statement and "ludicrous" view would have helped him make a better buying decision

As it happens he has( prior to your post) since bought a D50......Was that a silly decision??:confused: Maybe he should take it back:boring:

What would you say to THIS POST?