Dslr advice please

Geordie Bry

Established Member
Reaction score
Just been on holidays took canon g11 with me but found it really limited for wildlife shots etc.( just couldn't get close enough)if I buy the likes of a canon 550 d what lens is best for capturing close ups un wildlife.
Thanks Bryan

At the moment you have roughly 28-140mm with the G11, so perhaps a 70-300 of some sort. Whats your budget?

Lets see then a 7d, 24-70 and a 100-400 will do nicely.

Sorry should have said what lense to go with 550 d. Don't want to go daft until I know I won't get bored with it lol

Ok looks like I'm gonna buy canon 550 d. What lens should I buy for photographing wildlife. Can spend up to £200 on lens. Memory card I have in my g11 is a sandisk extreme 111 30mbs edition 4gb .will it be ok. I've been offered £200 trade in for my g11 does that sound ok.

If thats all Id say a 75-300 or a 55-250 IS. Youd probably be better off with the 55-250 as its stablilized and with long shots thats a great help even though its slightly shorter.

Last edited:
Canon 100-400mm has a very good reputation.

Sell your G11 on here .. you should get a bit more than £200 .. infact I will give you more than that for it. ;)

If thats all Id say a 75-300 or a 55-250 IS. Youd probably be better off with the 55-250 as its stablilized and with long shots thats a great help even though its slightly shorter.

Thanks twist. Would both lenses be canon lenses. It's all very new to me.Oh and will my current sd card do for now.

Last edited:
Mike.P®;14567382 said:
Canon 100-400mm has a very good reputation.

Sell your G11 on here .. you should get a bit more than £200 .. infact I will give you more than that for it. ;)

What's the going rate for a g 11 on here

Yup both canons. Id say £200 is about right if youre not posting. No point in arguing over 10-15 when you have a buyer. The last one went on Ebay for 225 then take off fees then take off postage.

Fees would be £15 and post would be £10 so Id say £200 is about right if you have an immediate buyer.

Fees would be £15 and post would be £10 so Id say £200 is about right if you have an immediate buyer.

The £200 is a trade in price from local camera shop .there price for 550 d is £599 then there's the £30 cash back from cannon.

Id say its fair, actually very good from a shop and far less hassle.

2nd the canon 55-250 or a canon 70-300 (forget the 3rd party 70-300s IMO)

Yes, as you can see the ratings are very good. Amazons also a good retailer so no issues.

Yes, as you can see the ratings are very good. Amazons also a good retailer so no issues.

thanks again twist,got the camera today battery charging now is it worth buying a second battery.
really looking fwd to trying camera this weekend

Batterys pretty good on those, I keep a charged spare in my bag as you cant always plan when you feel like taking a few snaps and nothing worse than realising the batteries flat. Dont bother with genuine batteries.

Batterys pretty good on those, I keep a charged spare in my bag as you cant always plan when you feel like taking a few snaps and nothing worse than realising the batteries flat. Dont bother with genuine batteries.

Can you recommend a battery please.
Thanks Bryan

Check out the model no. under the battery or search 550d battery on amazon. Otherwise ebay, on ebay if there are alot sold next to quantity it means its pretty good.
Amazon will have a rating as usual.

thanks again twist,got the camera today battery charging now is it worth buying a second battery.
really looking fwd to trying camera this weekend

Argh and I was about to post this is back in stock in Dixons at £570 incl 18-55 lens so with 3.03% off VAT-less price via TCB, £50 off via code NXJDIX50 and £30 back from Canon it would only set you back about £475!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom