DSlite Crystal case review.

G a f f e r

Hello everyone. :D

As many of you own DSlites, I thought I'd show you the new crystal case I've recieved for it.

Firstly, this is yet another case (pun not intended) of getting stuff MUCH cheaper via Ebay from Honk Kong.

The Case is advertised as specifically for the DSlite and you get to see the unapplied picture of it on most of the auctions:
4473_1.JPG

Search for "crystal case DS lite" and you'll get lots of hits appearing for the same product from different shops.

The cost came to £5 tops inc. delivery and (as is usual with HK items) took about 5-7 days to arrive. It also arrived very well packaged :cool:.

The case is a VERY snug fit. So much so, that I was initially worried about getting the DS in there.
Eventually, after much gentle pressure, it went 'click' and clipped into place. This is achieved via slight bulges in the internal case wall, rather than bulky clips or straps.....so ensuring a very smooth fit.

Here are some piccies:

Most of the DS is actually covered, but there are enough spaces around to allow you to control things nicely.
For instance, there is ample room to slot game cartridges in and out, and the essential controls such as those for power and volume are kept nicely clear.
It does all this whilst still managing to protect most of the DS lite itself:

Speaking of volume, I found yesterday, that whilst playing New SMB, my Left hand Thenar Eminence (chunky bit of muscle grouping at base of thumb/lat aspect of hand) was moving the slider for the volume whilst playing {probably my own fault as I was holding on to it quite tightly :suicide:}. Nevertheless, this was mildly annoying, but is eliminated now thanks to this case :D. It covers enough of the surrounding area that the slider is in a bit more of a "pit" now than before....meaning that it is harder to accidentally move it. On the other, it's still easy enough to manually alter the volume setting when you want.....overall a win-win situation then.

If you look at this close up of an iMac, notice how it appears that the white casing is enclosed by clear perspex?
727pximacdualcore17inchca5.jpg

Well that's exactly what my DSlite reminds me of now:

VERY svelt imo :cool:

Overall:
Looks 10/10....being see-through has one advantage...whether you have a white, black or pink DS, this case will match them all nicely :laugh:
Fitment 10/10...again, fits SO WELL that it looks like this is how Nintendo made the DSlite in the first place....has to be 10/10 here
Price 10/10....a lowly Fiver for something of this quality is outstanding imo
Protection 9/10....the ONLY place not noticeably covered is the very very top of the hinge (see pictures)....again, VERY unlikely to matter in reality but as it isn't 100% covered, it has to drop a mark here.
Build Quality 10/10...VERY thick casing that looks and feels like it's made to last.

OVERALL: 10/10...a VERY impressive accessory that I would recommend highly to everyone with DSlites :D

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Very interesting Gaffer74, you do some great reviews, wonder if your line of work is involved in something along those lines?

I had looked at these a couple of times but wasn't in the least bit tempted without seeing them fitted, might even invest in one myself now as it looks really good and clearly great protection so no need for another case/pouch.

Great work Gaffer, keep your reviews coming:smashin:

G a f f e r

Thanx :biggrin:

Very interesting Gaffer74, you do some great reviews, wonder if your line of work is involved in something along those lines?

Nope, i work for the NHS (aka No Hope of Survival :D )

I had looked at these a couple of times but wasn't in the least bit tempted without seeing them fitted, might even invest in one myself now as it looks really good and clearly great protection so no need for another case/pouch.

Great work Gaffer, keep your reviews coming:smashin:

Well the combo of fantastic fit, good quality and (above all) great price are what sold me......it's less than the price of a subway sandwich after all

:)

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Nice review - my only problem with these crystal cases is that they are prone to fracture quite easily.

Dazed87

Banned
Ordered one of these on the 'Bay earlier today for £4. Been using it without a cover of any kind since the DS Lite was released & it's got no scratches etc. but, for the sake of £4, better safe than sorry.

Good review - very helpful.

Sebby

I'm thinking of getting one of these my my DS Lite. I like my gadgets to be protected whilst still looking good, so this seems perfect.

Does it add a lot of bulk?

Could you provide the seller ID as there are lots of eBay (probably all the same, but just to be on the safe side).

Thanks. :)

Moosh

Just ordered a hard case for my DS Lite too! :smashin:

Cheers
Moosh

RandomLee

Distinguished Member
Great review Gaffer!

I'm considering one of these myself and your review may have just convinced me.

Do you think it adds any strength to the hinge or takes any pressure off it when opening / closing the lid?

Also....

If you look at this close up of an iMac, notice how it appears that the white casing is enclosed by clear perspex?
727pximacdualcore17inchca5.jpg

Well that's exactly what my DSlite reminds me of now:

My white DS is like this anyway. You can see the matte-plastic white casing is enclosed in clear plastic. The only bad thing about it (on the white DS at least) is that dust gets trapped between the inner and out casing and it's quite hard to remove (post-it notes seem to do the trick though). No probs like this on my gf's black DS.

G a f f e r

Do you think it adds any strength to the hinge or takes any pressure off it when opening / closing the lid?

Hi Lee.
This is a contentious issue. I myself have had good use out of my DS with case for nigh on a year now. No problems at all. No cracked hinge. I personally think (looking at how the physics of the hinge works), that it must be offering at least some minor form of "support" or protection to the DS.

My thinking goes that the hinge of the crystal case may very well be "sharing the load" of the DS hinge alone. It kind of makes sense, so it wouldn't surprise me if this were actually the case (of course, in the absence of scientific trials measuring exact forces, I can't prove it ;)).

The thing that "cements" it for me is the fact that the hinge still "clicks" properly as it did when I first got it.....again, despite numerous use over the year.

Having said all the above, I'm sure there are some people out there who have developed cracked hinges anyway, so I'm not saying it will definitely be 100% fool-proof.....more that I think it will probably provide at least a small measure of hinge protection.

....all imho of course :).

P.S. I have seen similar from Woolworths for a fiver, but have been told by a few folk that these are inferior copies (and that they don't close properly).
Ebay/shops from HK are still your best bet for getting them and I've also seen Gamestation and the like selling different brands that look like clones of the above but for a tenner (so Ebay beats them on price too).

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
P.S. I have seen similar from Woolworths for a fiver, but have been told by a few folk that these are inferior copies (and that they don't close properly).
Ebay/shops from HK are still your best bet for getting them and I've also seen Gamestation and the like selling different brands that look like clones of the above but for a tenner (so Ebay beats them on price too).

I have the woolworths one for a fivr and it seems the same as described, very good fit and no problems with it not closing or anything, I personally would recommend the woolworths one.

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
I know this is an old thread, but I was in our local big Asda yesterday and they were selling the Joytech DS Lite ArmorLite Case for £2.93. It's basically identical to the Hong Kong equivalent in the opening post.

cas398

I know this is an old thread, but I was in our local big Asda yesterday and they were selling the Joytech DS Lite ArmorLite Case for £2.93. It's basically identical to the Hong Kong equivalent in the opening post.

I seen them in them in the Glasgow Forge ASDA too.

Deal extreme have a good range of different designs: DealExtreme Search: protective case

I got mine for £3 off Ebay and I can't fault it.

Anyone tried the silicone ones?

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom