1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dscaler useful?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by philipb, May 20, 2003.

1. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I'm playing around with some options for hooking up a HTPC to my Pio 433MXE. Currently I can watch TV via the Nebula card, and DVDs using a Tosh drive and TheaterTek. I use the DVI output from a Nvidia card, and PQ is very good.

Just wondered if Dscaler would help improve things, but I don't think it works with the Nebula card?? Does it have any influence on DVD playback?

2. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi philipb,
    In short, no, I don't think so, but haven't seen how good the Nebula's own de-interlacing is.

I think there may be a way you can try it at no cost, except some time using the the Dscaler alpha release's DirectShow input option "DSHOW"

This assumes your Nebula makes it's capture available with DirectShow capture drivers (most likely).

This would then allow you to de-interlace (probably with Video Greedy or Video TomsMoComp), calibrate and use Dscalers video noise or chroma correction filters if desired.

I tried it a few moths ago with an MSI tv@nywhere analog card and it wasn't totally stable when setting and changing options under the Dshow input menu. It'd probably run stable if you set it up and left alone.

regards,
    Rob.

3. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    sorry to hijack Philipb but Rob - I can't see the Chroma Correction filter on my dscaler 4.1.5 - is it only on 4.1.6?

4. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I think you have to select the optional development plug-ins/filters at install time. See the Dscaler sticky for a link to a web page with screenshots, see under 6. Filters.

cheers,
    Rob.