1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DScaler settings

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Punce, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    What options are you using in DScaler for the best results when watching PAL sources such as Sky, VCR, PS2 etc?

Just wondering if I'm missing a certain option to improve it even further.

Cheers

Mark

2. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I use L.Dubb's adaptive noise filter (pre-release from next dScaler version) for PS2 and Laserdisc sources.

It improved the noise level for thease already good sources (via an IDS Falcon card) with no noticeable drawbacks to my eyes. It's far, far better than the standard noise filter in dScaler at the moment.

regards,
    Rob.

3. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks Rob

Aren't there settings within that filter? If so, could you tell me what settings you use? And do you select greedy motion or weave etc? I really don't understand fully all this jargon, I need somewhere to read.

While I have your attention, I'm looking for the correct settings to create a palR2 and an ntscR1 shortcut for the AE100. I created one for NTSC, and to make a PAL shortcut I thought it was a case of just changing a number to match the refresh rate, but I couldn't find that number in the set, and I'm a bit confused as to what the last number in that set is? Any light on this?

I've done well to get this far after 1 month :rolleyes:

Thanks

Mark

4. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My current setting for dscaler (going from memory..)

Greedy 2 frame / Auto detect off / judder off althought sometimes I turn this on...

dscaler sleepinterval=1 I think in the dscaler.ini preference file, along with the program and filter? in high priority mode although only do this on a dual CPU PC! (last menu option I think..)

Usually the picture quality is very good, expecially when a feature film is on, but sometimes I get a bit of noise and therefore use the adaptive noise filter at setting 20 (default=40)

Also in one of the preferences it says the width of the picture which I have specified as custom so that when its maximised the resolution would be 1024x768 (desktop settings) and therefore the internal scaler would'nt kick in and mess up the picture!.

I suggest switching on the TV and calibrating the projector by eye as you will probably find that you can bump up the video adjustments for colour to get a pretty similar picture to your TV set except blacks will be dark grey.

http://www.dscaler.org has a fair bit of documentation covering the ini file settings and Frequently Asked Questions.

James

5. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Many thanks James, you never disappoint!

Now if I could just get those Powerstrip settings...