dScaler not supporting DVD-ROM

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by TorAtle, Dec 13, 2002.

1. TorAtle

TorAtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All this talk about scalers made me do some research. Indeed video processing is a fascinating subject, and I now understand that even though the interlaced signal from my DVD is converted to progressive scan inside my plasma, it would be worthwhile having a real video processor of some sort - not only what I assume is just a line doubler.

What I don't like is the multiple D/A and A/D conversions. Surely this can't be good, and the scaler introduces one more.

I was therefore puzzled to learn that dScale doesn't support DVD-ROM. Why? Instead we are shipping our external players over to the states to have a SDI-board installed. Add to this the not so cheap H3D PCI-card...

I think I have a PCTV card lying around at home (hopefully with s-video input), so will have a go when I get home just to try it out, but to me is sounds like it will be better running component straight to the plasma.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    To just take stuff from the dvd drive, you would need an mpeg decoder of some sort..... my understanding is that software decoders are integrated into software dvd players, so there is no need to use dscaler.

The reason we are doing the sdi thing is because the hardware mpeg decoders in some players are superior to what software decoders can manage. Added to that, the H3D has hardware de-interlacing which is itself (possibly) superior to the software de-interlacing.

There are hardware mpeg decoder cards available out there..... in fact there is even one in development for use with the H3D card..... but i cant see you getting info about that particular project at the moment! :D

ad

3. TorAtle

TorAtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Erm, don't know quite how to put this, but tried dScaler today to get a feel for the de-interlacing stuff. Hoping for an improvement of some sort, but all I managed to see was some artifacts :confused: Couldn't put my finger on anything that got better.

So what gives? Is the panny built-in de-interlacer very good, is the dScaler nothing special, is it because PAL film material on DVD is sped up for fps matching, is it because we are talking about a fixed resolution monitor....or is it simply my untrained eye that is at fault? ;)

I must get one of those test disks...

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What is your source player? What is your capture card? Unless the capture card has very noisy inputs, i would expect the pc to beat any built in de-interlacers.......

ad

5. TorAtle

TorAtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Source is a Denon DVD-F100, component outputs directly to plasma and s-video to capture card - which is a MIRO PCTV. The input is noisy, so overall picture quality is worse, but I was trying to look for what the de-interlacer actually do.