Dscaler & Nebula?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Donnacha, May 21, 2004.

1. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,377
    Hi,

just installed the Nebula DigiTV card today - excellent! Now on the TV it looks fine, but blown up to 6ft on the PJ, you can see the lines and bluriness. Just been watching the cricket and its blurry during fast bits.

I've never used dscaler, but people seem to use it for Sky and TV. My question is can I use it to "smarten" up the pic from the DigiTV card, or is there any other means to improving the picture. I have the interlacing set to Bob. :lease:

Thanks

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Whilst the nebula deinterlacing is actually quite good compared with other cards its not as good as Dscaler ( few things are). Its more likely that the artifacts you are seeing are down to the sports coverage being compressed a little too agressively to cope with the fast action.

I've watched the ocassional rugby match on the nebula and generally it seems fine as long as the broadcast is up to snuff . The bob deinterlace itself is probably about as good as it gets for fast action anyway but try the average and see if it improves things ( I doubt it).

As for getting the nebula into Dscaler ...can't be done but John Adcock spends a fair time in here and might be willing to offer you some advice.

3. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Are there any MPEG2 decoders that are really good at decoding video and compatible with Transport Stream? I use the elecard decoders inside zoomplayer to watch recordings of films made with the nebula, picture to my eyes seems better than using the nebula media player, but the decoders seem pretty ropey with video.

4. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,377
    Cheers guys.

Bob does seem a bit better than average. I've just started using the card today, so first impressions are good, if not blown away. Let's see what the cup final looks like tomorrow!! Don't care who wins as long as its not the Mancs!!!! :laugh:

5. probeski

probeski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is Bob?

6. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive beefed on about it before and probably will again, the Nebula is good for watching normal TV programmes and the flexibility it gives for recording to disc is excellent. But for sport it ABSOLUTELY SHOCKING. Either get yourself a cheap analogue TV card or plug a VCR into your amp and you will have something decent to watch.

7. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,377
    Sneaky - I've actually gotten used to the footy by now. In fact I think the FA Cup final was the worst I've seen - since then Euro 2004 was watchable, as was Liverpool on C5 last night.

Lets see how the Olympics measure up!!

Probeski, Bob is one of the deinterlacing methods on the DigiTV card

Cheers

8. probeski

probeski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you tell me if the Nebula's quality for sport will be different if i chose to only record with the Nebula and watch using a STB?

9. Mocha

Mocha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having recently bought a large screen, I certainly agree that Nebula leaves a lot to be desired with moving images.

ShowShifter supports the Nebula card and also integrates with DScaler. It takes a bit of setting up but does give a better result than the Digitv software.