1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dscaler is fantastic.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by NickBull, Apr 25, 2002.

1. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just like to heap a lot of praise on Dscaler. I’ve been playing around with it a bit, not really touching any of the advanced optionsat all, so could be even more amazingness to come.
    Basically I’ve been connecting my DVD player via Svideo in a Pinnacle Rave TV card.
    At first I seemed to get a slight amount of noise on the picture, but after downloading the Adaptive Noise filter this has completely disapeared.

The results now are very impresive, PQ from the stand alone player is getting on for TheaterTek type performance. I think the New noise filter makes a vast amount of difference, but also proper calibration of the video settings using the THX optimiser on the Phantom Menace gave the picture a lot more solidity and balance.

I can’t praise this program enough, I am now confident enough to buy a Second hand LD player and use it through the projector.

I tried VCR through it, and it is watchable, if a little soft. But for the size of screen and the limited lines availlable on Analogue video it does a more than fair job.

I manually set the PAL de-interlace mode to 2:2 flip on odd, Flip on Even gives me jaggedy edges.

Can’t wait for version 4!

Cheers

Nick

P.S with regards to my previous post about horizontal lines, this seems to be a problem with the disc, probably due to Macrovision, I have some advice on fixing this but as it is one disc I am not too bothered.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed, it makes the world of difference watching Sky, straight from the Sky+ box S-Video connection is watchable but pretty bad, via the PC and DScaler it's miles better.. think I'm going to put my X-box through it as well but I haven't tried that yet to compare it with the component connection..

Cheers
    Andy

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the way is the adaptive noise filter something you have to install on top of the standard Dscaler software, I'm not sure I've got it and can't see a download for it on the website..

Cheers
    Andy

4. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Andy

Yes the new noise filters are not part of the last proper release 3.1.0, they are in 3.1.1 which is availiable from the sf files page but otherwise you can get them by searchign on AVS.

They are worth the both trying to locate as they are excellent.

John

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I've downloaded and installed 3.1.1 and to be honest I can't see any difference from 3.1.0. Is this noise filter the temporal noise filter then? If so why is it in the list of filters in both versions? If not why can't I see any extra filters listed in 3.1.1 over and above those in 3.1.0? Help I'm confused!

Cheers
    Andy

6. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Andy

Not as confused as me sorry for leading you up the garden path. I'll be releasing 3.1.2 later this weekend and that will have them in. In the mean time search on AVS.

Sorry

John

7. Hoglet

Hoglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    John,

I saw a post in the dscaler forums a few weeks ago where you said you were thinking of support in DScaler for the Hauppauge Nova-T digital TV card. Any chance of letting us know what the status of this is? I'm sure there are many folk here who would love to dump the Hauppauge/Technotrend software for dscaler!

--- Dave

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem John, good things come to those who wait eh....

Cheers,
    Andy.

9. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! I'll give it a try, to be honest I'm very happy with the results I'm getting anyway so if this improves things further then I'll be well chuffed!

Cheers
    Andy

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Given the new release a try tonight and when I apply the adaptive or gradual noise filter I get quite a few lines on the picture that disappear as soon as I turn those filters off.. any idea what could be causing that? It's a shame cos the picture seems to be cleaner but it's not really watchable because of all the lines on it..

Cheers
    Andy

12. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Andy

Bugger, there is a fix for that in the version 4.0.0 tree. I'll keep you posted, in the mean time sorry.

John

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol, that's ok, I can see it's going to be worth the wait when I get the final version and at the moment I can live with a previous version.. keep me updated about a fix ok..

Cheers
    Andy