1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dscaler.............. Help !!!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by theritz, Apr 24, 2003.

1. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi guys,

Using Dscaler with a Pinnacle Rave card, capturing video (cable tuner) via composite from vcr. Wild stabbing in the dark with filters and deinterlacers tho' and getting a fair deal of artifact similar to vertical banding - sometimes like watching through a net curtain. (Man U & Real on at the mo)

Would appreciate suggested settings for filter and deinterlacer, even a link which would explain what the various options actually mean and do.

Also any suggestion for the best option in "View" for watching TV - quite a confusing list there, looking for one which will interfere least with 1:1 pixel matching.

Dscaler is an Awsome program, despite my confusion......

Thanks in advance,

Sean G.

2. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I'd turn all filters off to minimise cpu until you find the source of this.

Q: What desktop resolution are you running?
    Q: What Dscaler pixel width setting?
    Q: Is the pc plugged in the mains close to the vcr, or is it a long cable with wide-apart mains sockets?

Q: Can you do a screen grab with filters off so we can really see what you are getting?

regards,
    Rob.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My "basic" settings:

Aspect ratio of display screen: 1.78:1
    View: 16/9 Anamorphic
    Deinterlace: Judder termination & TomsMoComp
    Filters: Adaptive noise reduction.

This is with a 16/9 feed from Sky digital vis s-video.

Me thinks the source (composite from VCR) is pretty lousy to begin with.

Great "tweaking" ahead for you Sean :D Just hope you manage to avoid the "blue screen of death".

Best of luck :smashin:

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Rob,

Thanks for the quick response.......

Mrs Ritz in midst of soccer-fest, so just a quick check.......

- Desktop resolution = 856x480 (AE100), currently running Sharpness, Temporal Comb and Noise Reduction (Adaptive) filters, deinterlacing = video (greedy high motion)

PC and VCR both plugged into same plugboard, and are in close proximity to each other - not really practical in my set-up to separate them, I'm afraid.

Don't recognise the "pixel width" part of your reply (!?! me being stoopid ?).

The effect Im complaining of is what I've seen described as "dirty screen" - in panning shots, or movement like in soccer, the image looks like your watching through a net curtain - not as pronounced as vertical banding, just similar. I'm not online with my hcpc to do a scrren cap, and in any case, Im not sure of it would exhibit the issue, as when the image is static its ok.

Any further advice most welcome, but see response to Kramer following......

Kramer,

While checking settings for response above, reset them to those you posted - can't really see any difference - "dirty screen" effect still present. You might well be right, my tv signal isn't the greatest, and composite being bottom of the food chain can't be helping. When I used Dscaler on an Svideo feed from DVD player previously, none of the effect I'm now complaining of was exhibited, so it could be down to tv signal issue. I'll get the chance later next month to try it with a digital feed via STB, see what difference it will make.

Still hoping for pointers to definitive explanations of filters deinterlacers etc. !!!

All the best,

Sean G.

5. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,944
    There should be a menu tab at the top for your card, and one of the subitems in that menu is pixel width. Check it's set to 480 if your resolution is 480, I had a similar problem to you when my pixel width was set to 720 and I had the resolution set to 1024 x 768, when I set the pixel width to 768 is looked lots better. Give it a go anyway. I use TomsMoComp deinterlacing which seems to give very good results..

Cheers
    Andy

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Andy,

Aaah, now I understand what is meant by "pixel width" and yes, mine is set to 720........ I'll give it a whirl at 480 a little later on and report back......

Thanks,

Sean G.

7. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    ...........short tweaking session later........... yip the 480 pixel width is a definite improvement, I reckon the rest of it is down to poor quality vid signal - when stuff that originated in digital format (certain tv ads, stuff like the UEFA splash screen) are displayed its pretty darn good !

Am arrangein to borrow digibox (off cable) so will have a better idea thereafter.

Thanks for rapid responses - if anyone knows of a link to explanations of filters and deinterlacing modes, I'd still love to read up on this stuff.

All the best,

Sean G.

8. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    BTW, I think pixel width sets how many pixels across horizontally left to right are sampled. The number of input lines (height) are fixed based on the incoming source 576 or 480 for NTSC.

Still it sounds like 480 horizontal pixel width scales much better in to 856 than 768 did, hence the less scaling artefacts, nice one!

regards,
    Rob.

9. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,944
    Well I probably don't understand why it worked but as long as it did that's all that matters! I was thinking after I'd mentioned it that the width isn't 768 anyway, that's the height, the width is 1024, confused myself now but anyway mine looks good at 768 all round so what the hell...

Andy

10. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    If you guys are struggleing it might be worth setting hold of John Ad (the developer of Dscaler) do a search he regually visit these forums.

regards

richard