1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dscaler and audio delaying?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by gyre, Sep 24, 2003.

1. gyre

gyre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks. Have any of you found a PC solution for delaying the audio so that you can avoid lip-sync issues with dscaler?

Thanks!

-- gyre --

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,126
    Hmm I don't have any lip sync problems with Dscaler. How are you routing audio?

3. gyre

gyre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replying Keith.

Audio comes in from an external Sky digibox via the 3.5mm audio-in socket on a Packard-Bell TV-100 card, then through the pass-through cable to the built-in soundcard on the motherboard (an Abit BH7).

The sound will always beat the video. Sometimes only by a small amount... sometimes by anything upto 1/4 of a second.

I've put the TV-100 in every PCI slot to test out. Makes no real difference.

The CPU is a P4/2.4B @ 2.9Ghz. I've tried it @2.4Ghz just in case overclocking was the problem, and still get the lip sync issues.

Most folks I've spoken to on this say that they either don't have a problem, or that it seems to depend heavily on which mobo they use.

I've just been looking for a way to delay the audio by a small amount under Windows XP... just to line things up. Some guitar software out there seems to get close, but doesn't have quite enough delay.

-- gyre --

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,126
    I don't pass the audio through my PC I just have the source connected direct to my amp. Only the video goes through Dscaler and then on to my projector. Is there any way you can check the audio at source and see how it syncs up with the dscaled video?

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same as Mr.D, sound straight to receiver (Denon 3803). I did notice a very slight delay but only a few miliseconds (5 or 6 IIRC) which the Denon deals with.

Why do you need to pass the sound through the PC? Use as a PVR?

6. gyre

gyre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True. I don't need to pass the sound through the PC at all. I can send direct to speakers, given the right cable.

However, I'd understand if the sound was lagged by going through the PC... but it is actually beating the video.

I've bought an xcapture card today, so I see how that works early next week when it arrives :)

-- gyre --