1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dscaler and 100%CPU usage

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Comer, May 6, 2003.

1. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I have a P4 1.4G and when runing dscaler (I think it's 4.1) I get juddery images and the cpu is at 100% usage. Is there any way I can reduce the demands of dscaler on the cpu and eliminate this judder

Thanks

Conor

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Dscaler AFAIK always takes all the processor available if you allow it, judder terminator enabled it will certainly use all of it but you'll probably want that anyway.

It depends on which other settings you are using as to whether or not you need a better processor.:

Whats it like on film based stuff?

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I use a 1.1Ghz P3 with Dscaler . Settings most commonly used are greedy high motion or Tomsmocomp , judder terminator , and the chroma output filter. Normally gives me no dropped frames.

All at default settings with the exception of the chroma filter.

I think I can run with gradual noise filtering on and its fine too but anything else and it starts dropping frames. The picture quality is pretty good at the above settings though

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    CPU usage isn't a great indicator, with a P4 1.6 you will want to switch off as much as possible, judder terminator should be the first to go for PAL stuff. Reduceing pixel width will also help.

5. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using a PIII 1.2GHz 512KB Tualatin. Auto Film/Video Detection, and Judder Terminator are both on. I get judder only on Tom's MoComp with default (5) search effort.

If I switch that to 0 search effort the judder stops completely (and I can't see any difference in PQ either!). I can use pretty much whatever filters, settings, I choose with no probs at all.

6. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    A PIII 1.2 512kb is much more powerful than a P4 1.6, setting the search effort to 0 isn't a good idea since it effectively turns tomsmocomp into regular bob. If you switch between 0 and 1 you should be able to easily see the difference, with it set to zero the picture will soften and will bounce up and down quickly (bob).

7. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Thanks everybody. I'll try your suggestions tonight

8. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Thanks all again

For anyone with a similar problem I reduced the pixel width fro 720 to 480 and that seems to have solved the judder problem

Conor

9. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeff

Stupid me! I read P4 1.6 as PIII 1.4 (don't ask how..........). I did wonder which m/b Comer was using........

Thanks for the info on Toms MoComp; you're right. I've been trying different levels of search effort between 1 and 5 and get no more than 3 DF/S irrespective, although this has been with Automatic Film/Video Detection off. Time to do a little overclocking, I think.

10. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    thought I'd resurect this one......

I've swithched everything of on dscaler and it's still hogging 100% of my CPU. It's an A64 3200 for pete's sake!
    I've not noticed it before because the comb of my mobo and processor has led to months of waiting for a bios for the mobo that reads temps any where near accurately. Now I've got one I'm watching the temps. Way high with dscaler so I checked the CPU use.
    I thought I might leave the PC on (and dscaler because then it'll be there for all the family for TV). But not at this load.
    What can be set to reduce this?

BTW it looks terrific. and its a Sweetspot capture card. dcaler 4.1.7p4

11. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    for others ref I found this on the dscaler forum.

"select "Keep CPU for other applications" in hardware setup and you can turn off "Judder Terminator" "

Some chap dropped his cpu usage from around 100% to an average of 38%

12. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    If you are running at a refresh rate different to the input material then using Judderterminator is one of Dscalers biggest advantages in my opinion.

13. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    don't know if I am. I'm running at 60Hz over DVI to my 43MXE1.

14. LTJ

LTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Natt I read that as well on the dscaler forum. That being.... untick "judder terminater" in filters and select "Keep CPU for other applications".
    I'm using a geforce 5600 with athlon xp3000 and I too was horrified when I checked the CPU usage at 100 %. So I tried the advice given above, at first I was apprehensive it might affect the glorious image I'd been getting. NOT ONE iota and the cpu is now hovering around 20-25 %.
    I have to say again skyRGB out, sweetspot, dscaler and powerstrip absolutely fantastic
    I love it so much I've splashed out £500 to build a dedicated PC. Far superior to my trusty old iScan.

15. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the CPU usage just a percentage allocated to that app, not actually the CPU load.

If Dscaler doesn't have the CPU for other apps box checked then it will be the sole user of CPU and hence run at 100%. But not 100% of cpu capacity.

This is just a guess but I can't see dscaler being that CPU intensive, if it was at 100% cpu capacity it would stutter and skip frames I'm sure.

16. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    it's actually using 100% of the CPU (greedy so and so).
    So I've fixed it as suggested on the dscaler forums and no it doesn't make a difference to the picture quality. I thought on a couple of occasions last might that it might, but I think it was more expectation than reality.

LTJ me too! Still got the TV wired for analogue input for back up though. But now I've got this setting right I might be tempted to keep it on always.
    If it weren't for the fan noise!
    I've a big Zalman fan on the A64, a 80mm silenX with rubber attachments at the front/base and a coolermaster 60mm at the rear of my Silverstone SST LC03. The last few days of heat has lead to this being quite a noisy box.