1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dscaler 4.0 is now available!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Kramer, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For all you PJ/HTPC guys & gals.

Latest version of Dscaler (Beta - but working well 4 me) Version 4.0 is now available here

Testing in the next few days, but looks very good.

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Hi Kramer

If I change to Dsaler 4.0 what improvemnets in picture quality can I expect.

Thanks

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tim,

Have a read through the initial post at AVS, explains far better than I ever could.

Several things are improved, better deinterlacing algorithms, film detection etc...

It now also is compatible with far more devices, has a better interface, new & improved filters etc...

The tuner section is now also working for channel selection etc...

Major improvements all round.

However:( it now EATS CPU time (100% pretty continuously). I'd expect them to fix this in the near future.

It's a small download, so try it out.

But put it in a different directory so the previous version still works (easier to uninstall & replace with final version when released).

Also run MBM or CPU Cool - keep an eye on CPU temps when running it - 100% CPU = heat.

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Thanks Kramer, I think I will hang fire until the cpu usage has been fixed.

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    With an immersive capturing card on its way soon....... im having my first ever look at descaler...... i was going to do it yesterday until the alpha version 4 appeared. Would i be right in thinking that i would be better using a stable version until i have the new hardware properly integrated?

does any know of girder files for the older versions of descaler!? ;)

ad

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    Just downloaded it last night : had a play with it on monitor will fire it up on projector tonight.

Been looking into gamma: fairly sure the panasonic ae100 is about 3.3 compared with a nromal CRT gamma of 2.2-2.5

Basically as far as calibration goes for correctness sake its best to calibrate via a test disc through a software player like theatertek.

This should sort out your overlay settings.
    (in my case I have to deviate from the scoped settings and drop the gamma to min: I could actually go with dropping it a tad more but my overall end to end gamma is now about 1.2 which is pretty good)

Then you leave the overlay settings where they are and calibrate the video settings in dscaler (initially i just assumed these were another hook for the overlay settings but I just twigged they are the input settings for the capture card: JohnAd feel free to help out) I'll be applying the gamma filter and dropping it a bit methinks to help out the already MINed out overlay gamma: hopefully it won't clip or crush but we'll see.

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, Girder files for Dscaler were available for download on the Girder site.

They should still be there. Maybe even the version 4.0 commands are available, I'll have to check it out myself later.

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    you know, without having anyway of playing properly, i am just stuck with reading posts and getting more and more scared all the time!

Ad

9. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If i was you i would get the new version . The pic quality seems quite a bit better if you ask me . Plus they have used a brand new core for version 4.0 .So if you download the old version and get it all set-up then get the new version 4 you will have to calabrate it all over again .You cannot copy one over the other or copy settings .

It can take some time to set-up to perfection but like most things that take some time it is worth it

10. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say I agree.

Looks far better after a couple of hours use on the PJ this evening.

BUT, they'll have to fix the CPU useage issue. My system just crashed due to this (fans on low for normal operation - CPU reached 61C B4 crash).

I won't have my watercooled setup for another couple of days (maybe a week or 10 days - have the radbox ready, need to machine my copper blocks for CPU, GPU & Northbridge!), & I don't need the extra noise generated when running CPU intensive apps - certainly not during PJ use anyway.

But it is far better than previous versions.

I'd dare aneone to better Sky through the PC using Version 4.0.

11. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must be lucky then . I am using a 1.3 tbird and these are suposed to run a lot hotter than most chips ,but after running it for a few hours today all seemed fine

I'm sure once you have your watercooled baby on the go the probs will be gone. I would love one but the whole filling a pc with water thing just makes me a little nervouse :eek:

12. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well when you've an Athlon XP1800+ (stock 1.53 @ 1.75v) running at 1743mHz @ 1.9v, it does generate quite a bit more heat, especially @ 100% CPU useage :eek:

I normally increase the cooling when running intensive apps (home made baybus - multi speed CPU, case + PSU fans), I didn't quite expect the latest version of Dscaler to be a "CPU intensive" app!

My PC runs 24/7 (Sat DSL - file fetching & sharing etc...), but normally CPU is only @ max 20%.

Watercooling will allow me to run max cooling continuously (hehehe, more mHz & CPU volts me thinks!) & silently.

The rad & fans are going to be outside the house (nice PC location - perfect!) & are all ready assembled (inc. tubing, res etc..)

Just waiting to get me blocks finished, & new Radeon 9700Pro (can't make a block for it until it arrives) to arrive B4 finishing it off.

Hopefully finished soon - I'll post some pics when I'm there.

BTW, upped cooling earlier, ran V4 Dscaler.

:eek: EXCELLENT :eek:

Absolutely brilliant picture on Sky digital via S-vid.

Needs some tweaking, but I'm a happy camper:D

Finally in a situation where Sky movies become watchable for me now.

13. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    Notice the new deinterlacing algorythm in version 4 (toms mocomp): assume its using some sort of motion estimation will check into this. Picture quality does seem better than previous but it does seem more processor intensive running with this.

Initially I was getting dropped frames running with :tomsmocomp , gamma filter , adaptive noise and judder terminator. Eventually I decided to lose the judder terminator and this seems to have sorted the dropped frames ( losing the noise filter as an alternative also stopped the dropped frames but I like the noise filter)

Ran it for a good few hours seems nice and stable.
    Proc is a 1.13GHz tualatin so suspect its taxing it a little too much with all the bells and whistles and judder terminator.

very good though

14. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    Actually just noticed I still get dropped frames running tomsmocomp with gamma and adaptive filters even with judder terminator off so I've swapped the adaptive for the judder terminator: also running with gamma and adaptive at the same time seems to be the main cause of just pushing my HTPC into dropped frames territory.

I can probably live without the gamma filter for the time being : maybe time to look at a cleaner card.

15. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kramer i thought the new XP chips were suposed to run a lot cooler than the older tbirds . That wa suposed to be one of the advantages .They are suposed to use a little less power aswell .

Are you sure there is'nt a hardware problem somwere . My brother has an xp and at 100% it runs a lot cooler than my tbird

16. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    squid

As I said, it's reasonably overclocked.

Stock speed for the CPU is 1.53mHz, I have it running at 1.743mHz (166x10.5), which is over XP2100+. That's over 200mHz faster.

Stock voltage is 1.75, mine is drinking 1.9volts (& soon will be getting more :devil: ).

So yes, I guess it is a "hardware problem".

BTW, it only becomes unstable when temps climb under load if I don't manually increase the cooling.

17. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah , i see :D :D

The sooner you get water cooled the better

18. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    hi
    a bit of a dum question maybe, i have never used dscaler before and dont watch tivo/sky/games through my pj it is only used for dvd playback via my htpc, is dscaler of any benifit to me?

thanks

richard

19. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    Stick a 40quid capture card in your PC use Dscaler hook up your sources via s-video and bingo Eastenders 9 feet wide and console nirvana. An RGB to s-video convertor may also be of use.