DSC-W5 too big, DSC-W50 blurry... what next please?

smashed

I bought a Sony W5 a few months ago, and was really impressed with its image quality. In fact I found it brilliant. However, it was a little too chunky to carry around on my days and nights out.
I then tried the Z600 and S600 Casios, but found the image more pixelated.
Went for a W50 thinking it was very similar in many specs to the W5, but found the images came out blurry when most people tried to take pics with it (obviously people couldnt hold it still).

Going to Florida in 2 weeks, but want a camera that is as small as possible, but dont want a big compromise on image quality. Any ideas please? Ive really struggled to find another top camera :(
Looking at £175 max, but can stretch to £200 if I can get W5 performance in a smaller camera :)

Thanks

JayCee

Distinguished Member
smashed said:
Going to Florida in 2 weeks, but want a camera that is as small as possible, but dont want a big compromise on image quality. Any ideas please? Ive really struggled to find another top camera :(
Looking at £175 max, but can stretch to £200 if I can get W5 performance in a smaller camera :)
Personally I'd go with the Panasonic DMC-FX01 which you can read about at http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfx01/
I'm off to Florida myself in just over two weeks and I intend to buy one myself over there where you'll save a few bob.:smashin:

smashed

Cheers, I have had a look at this camera, and was put off by..
Of course the sensor has long been the Lumix's achilles heel, and noise is still enough of an issue here that some fairly harsh noise reduction is needed. But whereas other recent Lumix models have been so noisy that the problem threatened to overwhelm all the good stuff, here the noise is only a serious problem in daylight at ISO 400. That said, noise gets steadily worse as light levels drop, and I cannot recommend the output in low light at ISO 100 or above for anything over postcard-sized prints.

Even though I dont tend to do big blow up prints, I still enjoy zooming in on the PC.

Im probably being unrealistic to expect a camera that doesnt give any noisy photos, but in a small shell.

Perhaps I was just really lucky that all the W5 shots turned out exceptionally well.

Top Bottom