DS wiFi extender - any good?

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Play.com have them for a bit under £30 each. We have a router already for the household so having these (1 each for the kids) would be easy to set up and I suespect might be fun for them.
But is it worthwhile? What games (aimed at 5-9 year olds) would be best on there? (They already enjoy Star WArs, Spiderman, Scooby Do and Brain Age).
Any other worthwhile accessories?

Conn

Novice Member
If you already have a (wireless) router you should not need an extender. Will connect straight up. My understanding was that these were for use where the internet connection is wired only.

Mario Kart, Tetris and Animal Crossing - especially Animal Crossing - will keep them (and quite possibly you ;) ) amused for hours.

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Erm so without any game in there, can you actually do anything on the 'net?
Like update the firmware or download demos or anything?

Conn

Novice Member
No. You can not connect without a compatible game. In fact, you can not even access the settings without a game cart in. Demo's can be downloaded, but not from home - Wifi Hotspots supply demo's. DS does not require firmware updates (unlike the PSP seems to).

Gold Feet

Novice Member
As Conn pointed out, your Nintendo DS should already be able to see your wireless router, you need a wireless game to test the connection. If you dont have a wireless router then I believe the extender plugs into your PC and then receives the signal from the DS to send to Nintendos servers.

My daughter is 8 and since trying Animal Crossing Networked with a friend of mine, she has nagged hourly to find her some new AC friends. :)

edit: I think there's a naughty gadget you can buy from Hong Kong if you want to mess about with firmware and stuff.