ds or xbox 360

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by azza99, Feb 5, 2009.

1. azza99

azza99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hii guys
    i was wondering whether i should get a ds or xbox 360..
    i like the idea of the xbox 360 for the graphics and the gaming reviews..
    but i can take the ds where iwant

help plz

azza

2. oldnewbie

oldnewbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    But you will have to put up with the hassle of keep replacing the 360 lol having owned a 360 which was faulty then getting it replaced I then got a ps3 and have never looked back :smashin: You cant really compare the ds (which I also own) because its a handheld but I really like them because as you say they are portable and if you buy a slot one card (ie r4 or ds edge) you can play movies, mp3, and downloaded utilities ;)

3. PocketOperator

PocketOperator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    I agree, this is a bit of a tough decision as you can't really compare the two as they are for different usage types. If you are thinking of getting the Xbox 360 Arcade which is the most basic model (which I'm guessing is the case seeing as it's around the same price as a new DS) then I would advise against it unless you plan on upgrading it at a later date. In order to take advantage of the 360 then you really need a hard drive for it and connect it to the net to download the new updates (such as the blatant Mii avatar rip-off and demos etc). I found that this additional cost was a bit too pricey for me and so traded my 360 in. As far as the DS is concerned then this is a fantastic handheld gaming device. There are tonnes of games for it, it's very cheap and loads of fun as well as offering wi-fi multiplayer functionality (something the 360 does not!). I guess you have to ask yourself if you want a next-gen console for the home to play all the latest HD-enabled games on or if you prefer the quickplay fun and portability of the DS.

4. cas398

cas398

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    It really depends what you want it for.

Personally I don't really like playing the DS because it is so small and uncomfortable playing for long periods because you are constantly looking down on the screen. Well whan I say so small I'm comparing it to playing on a decent sized TV. If you take public transport though or have long breaks in work constantly finding yourself bored, and your convinced it won't get stolen, I'd get a DS, just to pass the time if you really want one. My issues with the DS (and other portable consoles) mean I just stick to my GamesMaster subscription and read that to pass time when I'm out and about, waiting in the car.

Games wise I'd go for the 360. If you have a HD TV you really should be one of the 2 next-gen consoles to take advantage of your hardware and experience the wonder that is HD gaming. Reliability can be an issue, but it doesn't affect everyone. And MS will fix your console for free if it gets the RRoD.

Having said that you could get a PS3, even better with the Blu-Ray functionality. Free to play onlien as well.

To be honest we wouldn't have purchased the DS if flashcarts didn't exist. Being able to play homebrew and turn the DS into a media player is very important for us. Games wise I don't think you will be wowed by the DS, you might enjoy it thought it has some good games, as do most/all consoles.

A DS and a flashcart doesn't cost the earth, shop about and you can get both for £100.

Playing games in hi-definition and dolby digital is an experience.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  5. iceyd

iceyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The easiest way of going about this IMO is to work out which system you're more likely to use.

Which console offers the greatest variety of games to play?

Do you have all the equipment necessary to get the most out of the console? (with the ds, you should have everything you need out of the box, however with the 360 you may need to consider whether you have a good enough tv, whether you have a good enough internet set up for online games etc. to get the most out of it - just examples).

How long are you likely to be able to play games for? (generally speaking console games are better for those who wish to play for longer periods, with handheld games for shorter bursts).

There are many more things such as whether you can afford price of games
    (can you easily get them used for much cheaper?) and whether your friends also own a ds/360 that you could consider before deciding on which system to get.

I'm also in agreement with cas398 where I only got DS because of flash carts (I still love it, really I do but I'm not able to spend so much to fund all the games).

Hope that helps in some way :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  6. planetse

planetse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Xbox 360 or DS for playing games? Hard one that, a little like asking 50” Plasma or 14” portable for watching films.

You cannot even put them in the same category; one is for portable entertainment the other is for home entertainment. I play all my games at home on the Xbox 360 due to the online experience with other gamers; my PS3 is used for Blue Ray and media playback. Don’t play games on the PS3 because I only play online and find you get what you pay for and will leave the Xbox V PS3 at that. DS Lite with an Edge slot one card is my tool of choice when out and about.

This all depends on your budget, if it’s out of pocket money then you must chose wisely, if not then you need both a home system and DS. :D