DS Opera - 6th October

Chunder

Established Member
Reaction score
Woo!

"European DS users to surf the net

The DS has been a big success for Nintendo
European owners of Nintendo's DS handheld games console can surf the net from 6 October with the release of web browser Opera.
DS users will be able to check e-mail, use instant messaging and shop online with the release of the browser.

The stylus can be used to scroll around the screen and click on links.

The Nintendo DS Browser costs £30 and will be available as a standard cartridge for the device and comes bundled with a memory expansion pack."

Taken from the BBC website

Hmm....not sure about this unless it is going to offer some unique content. I only connect from my home, have not yet found a hotspot that I would want to use. Why read email on a 3" screen when I can already read it on a 17" widescreen one? :confused:

Conn said:
Hmm....not sure about this unless it is going to offer some unique content. I only connect from my home, have not yet found a hotspot that I would want to use. Why read email on a 3" screen when I can already read it on a 17" widescreen one? :confused:

So you can check your emails while stuffing your face with a Big Mac;)

I regularly use Opera on my desktop and mobile so I think this is good news. £30 sounds a bit steep though...

Conn said:

go to www.thecloud.net and do a postcode search for hotspots. You'll be surprised just how many hotspots there are!

Also thecloud are planning a seamless blanket wifi coverage of Canary Wharf next year. At the moment you can get wifi everywhere in CW but as you walk around you lose connection as you switch from hotspot to hotspot, this new way will let you move around and not lose connection. Perfect for the light railway that runs through there, or enjoying the parks and pubs!

While I'm (or the wife, I suppose) using the Mac, the other one can browse the web on their DS.

Whilst cooking in the kitchen, we can have a DS checking a recipe website.

Whilst watching TV, when an advert or webpage reference is shown that sounds interesting, we won't have to rush off into the other room to check, and then rush back so we don't miss the programme.

When we're on holiday, we can take the DS's to play games - and can also use them to keep up to date with the news from back home... and can also check our gmail accounts.

It's a cool gadget, dammit, and you've just got to use it! :)

Also, more information on the Opera website here (the announcement) and here (the "Opera for Nintendo" page... including a placeholder link for the Wii... woo!)

Chunder said:
While I'm (or the wife, I suppose) using the Mac, the other one can browse the web on their DS.

Whilst cooking in the kitchen, we can have a DS checking a recipe website.

Whilst watching TV, when an advert or webpage reference is shown that sounds interesting, we won't have to rush off into the other room to check, and then rush back so we don't miss the programme.

When we're on holiday, we can take the DS's to play games - and can also use them to keep up to date with the news from back home... and can also check our gmail accounts.

It's a cool gadget, dammit, and you've just got to use it! :)

Well I knew I was going to buy it the moment I heard it was being made, the ability to browse the web wirelessly on my DS was too good to miss. Im a big fan of internet on the toilet!

From what I heard it makes great use of the stylus too, the DS is the perfect handheld for a browser.

I cant wait for this either, i was intending to buy it to use to send and recieve email when im in Japan on holiday. But its released on the day i fly!

jonnyv said:
I cant wait for this either, i was intending to buy it to use to send and recieve email when im in Japan on holiday. But its released on the day i fly!

Buy from an airport shop?

Although if current indications are anything to go by, you won't be allowed your DS on the plane anyway.

This is great, will definately be getting this. One good thing would be if you could use the top screen to open links or attachments into. Just checked all the local hotspots and it seems that loads of pubs have them in now. :)

I love the way that you can use the top screen to pan around the site zoomed in.

Epicurus said:
Buy from an airport shop?

Although if current indications are anything to go by, you won't be allowed your DS on the plane anyway.

Will try and buy on from an airport shop or see if i can find a shop willing to let me have it before release date.

Im sure security regulations will be back to normal when i fly in 2 months.

jonnyv said:
Will try and buy on from an airport shop or see if i can find a shop willing to let me have it before release date.

Im sure security regulations will be back to normal when i fly in 2 months.
Don't bank on it! I think you'll find that airport security will be stepped up permanently with new measures being put into place shortly.

Chanser said:
Don't expect full browser support, no flash etc.

will we be able to update the browser, i.e. downloads?

po_man said:
Don't bank on it! I think you'll find that airport security will be stepped up permanently with new measures being put into place shortly.
This level of security cannot be maintained in the long term, heard this from various news reports from experts on various radio and TV stations.
Should last about a week or two at the most.
There may be restrictions about carrying liquids in hand luggage but im sure they will lift all other restrictions.

"Due to device limitations the Nintendo DS browser will not support plug-ins. Though a separate e-mail client is not included on the device, users will be able to access their Web mail accounts."

...thats a shame, also what if there is some major bug found with the browser, do you have to do and buy the latest version again?

I like the idea of a browser on the DS (touch dual screen etc), but if it is limited it should really be a free part of the package.

Interested in the reviews when its out though.

are there any free hotspots around? I take it these ones charge you in some way?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom