DS games coming to Wii U e-shop in the future.

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii-U & 3DS' started by Amph, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Amph

Amph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,867
    As per the title.

Apparently to be played exclusively on gamepad, with both screens displaying on gamepad (due to its size). Will post the article if I get chance.
    Nice move but not sure it'll actually add that much. Maybe a handful of games I'd give a go. If they were to include 3DS games then that would be grand, but won't happen whilst the 3DS is selling so well

2. Tooms

Tooms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +511
    People who don't have a DS may be interested I guess. Again a "sit in front of the TV and play" type activity.

3. Daft Ada

Daft Ada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,753
    DS games coming to Wii U? Is that before or after we get the N64 and GBA games on Virtual Console you promised Mr Iwata?

Some games would be welcome on Wii U, I'd love to see Metroid Prime Hunters for example. I'm intrigued to see how they'll display DS games. Whether that would simply mean showing the top screen on the telly and touch screen on the gamepad, or all on the gamepad somehow. Hopefully they'll give us the option to customise the view settings.

4. sjw

sjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    Can you imagine how shocking most of them will look on the big screen unless a fair bit of work is done to them (which won't happen)?

5. Daft Ada

Daft Ada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,753
    They will look hideous stretched to fit a HD set, unless Nintendo adopt some kind of resolution upgrade like the N64 games on the Wii. Or they could display at native resolution like the 3DS does and fit both screens on the TV.

6. Amph

Amph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,867
    As mentioned in opening post, they'll be displayed on Gamepad screen only.

7. Daft Ada

Daft Ada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,753
    As far as I've seen, they haven't confirmed how DS games will be displayed, have you got a link to the article? All the features and opinion pieces I've read/watched on the subject over the past few days have queried how Nintendo plans to actually display the games.

8. sjw

sjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    I've not seen anything saying that's the sole implementation. A brief demo of a side by side screen of Brain Training was shown - but there are lots of questions about whether or not the main screen would be used also. Apparently there were large technical difficulties in getting the DS games to run on the pad. I can't for the life of me think what they could be.

9. Amph

Amph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,867
    Will try and find the link. Might have been Techradar or Gameinformer.

Edit: looks like I made a bit of a leap saying it was gamepad exclusive but this link mentions it being shown both screens in the pad:

DS Virtual Console Heading To Wii U - News - www.GameInformer.com

Have to agree that it would look shocking on TV unless they somehow upscale it.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  10. Tazbot

Tazbot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,278
    Well many folk have complained about the pad and its 'lack of purpose' etc and I believe Nintendo are bringing the DS games to pad only as part of their strategies to justify what the pad is all about. Using the NFC function is also part of that strategy too. TBH, DS games on the TV screen will look awful (unless they magically appear full screen without any of the jaggies). I haven't played many DS games so they appeal to me if only to play them on the pad whilst TV is used for watching TV.

Miyamoto's Team Working On "Decisive" Singleplayer Game For Wii U GamePad - Siliconera

11. The_Wierd

The_Wierd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    Don't see why the games would look too bad, not worse than NES or SNES games in any case. It's also not clear if the games will be released "as is" or with tweaks or changes to accommodate the WiiU. I also think they are going to look fairly rough even on the Gamepad - I kept my DSXL even after getting a 3DSXL because DS games look so fuzzy on the 3DS screen. (Yes, I know you can turn off the scaling, but then it's back to DS-Lite size again.)

My main concern though, is that is is just another line of Virtual Console games that is going to trickle out one title a month at most, and be just as horribly over-priced as the existing titles. They are pretty deluded if they think this is really going to sell more Wii U systems though.

What I would much rather have is 3DS titles on the WiiU. Buy once on the eShop and play handheld or on the big screen. That would certainly encourage me to buy more titles through the eShop. I'd happily switch some of my cart based games to digital, in that case. even if I had to buy them again. Apart from better graphics, the 3DS top screen is widescreen and tends more often to be the primary display for the game, with the touch screen used for controls and status. And a toggle could still be used to allow off-screen play.

12. everett_psycho

everett_psycho
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,620
    I was considering buying pokemon on the ds but I'm now waiting, there's been mention of cross buys as well so I'm intrigued to see if I buy it for the Wii u can I also play on a 3ds. I don't think this will save the Wii u like it's being suggested but I'd definitely be interested if they got the 3ds in on it as well, there's no reason you couldn't use the SD card in a 3ds and the Wii u, or even use the Wii u as a hub for save data that your 3ds syncs to . I think this is a knee jerk reaction from Nintendo though, there's more going on to boost the Wii u but this is a quick response they could probably turn around fast to give a few more people a reason to buy one until the other things pan out.

13. Angry Joe

Angry Joe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This is a good idea from Nintendo, although I hope they can bring this to the Wii U very soon. I would love to replay Bowesers Inside Story and the Final Fantasy remakes if they bring them out. I hope for the old Pokemon games also.