DS Connection - IP Conflict error message?

Tokoloshe Man

After some help please, I posted a few days ago about trying to setup my DS to connect wirelessly to my Wanadoo Livebox. Well I managed to set it up by inputting the settings manually and setting my wireless security to WEP only.

I used the IP, Gateway and Subnet mask details by right clicking on the wireless connection on my pc and finding the details there, I then inputted the primary and secondary dns settings from my routers config page.

This worekd and my DS connected to my livebox straight away, however I then got a Windows System error message saying there was an IP address Conflict and that something else was sharing the IP address on the connection and basically shut down the connection. Now obviously the DS is the other IP address user, the thing is the DS was still able to access wifi ok but my wireless connection on my pc shut down and I got a red cross over the connection tab.

So after finally getting my DS connected wirelessly, it seems that my pc doesn't like the fact its using the same IP, can anyone offer any help/advice please. I am using Windows XP Service Pk2 if that helps.

ian_c_uk

Quite simple this... give the DS another ip....

Just change the last number to something higher.. in case you're using dhcp you may want to choose something up above 100, but don't break 250.

Tokoloshe Man

Thx for that, seems to have done the trick. Another question mate, that worked changing the IP address, my security on my livebox is now set to WEP only which it needs to be on for the DS to work.

When I turn on my pc it shows the wireless connection in the bottom right hand corner of my screen as working ok, i.e. with a green light on it, however after a short while a red cross appears over it and when you click on the wireless networks it says I am not connected but then underneath says I am connected? I can still browse the internet ok but it is showing a red cross on the wireless connection.

Any ideas why this is happening?

D

DarrenB

set the DS to DHCP, it should get its IP, Sunet mask, default gateway settings & DNS settings from the DHCP server process running on your Wanadoo wireless Access Point....

its correct that you could set a static address but make sure its not the same as any other devices on your network, thats why Ian stated use something above 100....i.e. if your PC's IP is 192.168.0.2, then enter something like 192.168.0.100 for the DS.....you should set the ds up for DHCP though, that waythe dhcp server allocates the next available ip address it has from its pool and you avoid conflicts...

ip address ranges consist of 4 octets running from x.x.x.0 thru x.x.x.255...you cant use 0 or 255 for any nodes as they are reserved, but you can use anything from x.x.x.1 thru x.x.x.254

rgds:)

Tokoloshe Man

I've set the DS ip address to higher than 100 and its connecting fine now, no error messages. However did you see my query above about the connection tab?

Tokoloshe Man

Also how do I set the DS to DHCP please? Where is that in the settings?

Tokoloshe Man

Ok further update to the problem, it is now logging me out of my wireless connection every now and then. It will be working fine with a green wireless tab showing I am connected, then all of a sudden it will come up with a message saying unable to connect to preferred network and log me out, I then have to reconnect manually and it works again.

This is obviously not right, anyone got any ideas please why its doing this, any remedies to sort it out would be appreciated.

Thx.

D

DarrenB

OK,
whats your wireless AP config, did you config it yourself, i.e. you using dhcp,what size address pool, you using wep?

Whats your PC config, how many wireless adapters you have in device manager, you using windows to manage it or other driver software?

how far away is pc from AP? you moved it recently, any walls or other structure in way, whats signal strength?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom