1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DS already Dated?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by AML, Nov 4, 2004.

1. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Maybe its just me but after looking at screenshots of a few of the upcoming DS titles, mainly mario DS and mariokart DS i cant help feel how old and dated the graphics and gameplay look. I mean mario DS is basicaly mario 64 and so is mariokart DS.

The only interesting games coming out for it are nintendo wars and picto chat in my opinion, and these games dont really focus on graphics.

Is the DS too little too late? What do you think?

Im all for the dual screen and touch screen, and some of the games that use the touchscreen look really origianl and fun, but are they really worth the cost of the machine and the game? i mean these games will cost almost as much as a game cube game!

Is it really worth it?

Take a look at the japanese nintendo site:
    http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/index.html

and take a look at the game screenshots as well as some of those other dodgy looking titles that probably wont make it to the west!

Are these sort of games really worth the 5000 yen (25 quid) asking price? Please remember that you can buy a new Game Cube or PS2 game for roughly the same in japan.

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    I am not too sure you can tell much from those screenshots really.

Besides this is the mobile market and so it is not competing with PS2 or GC, only the PSP.

Given Nintendo's history with handhelds it will be difficult to bury the DS, don't forget the Gameboy wasted so many colour handhelds. The handheld market is different and it very kiddy orientated, most people buy them for their kids and tbh kids are still happy with Gameboys.

3. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Thats right. Kids will want the DS, adults will want the PSP, they will hardly compete at all.

4. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    The DS (as mentioned by Sinzer) is a handheld and therefore not in competition with regular consoles. You are paying for the portability as if you wanted to play your gamecube on the bus you would seriously struggle ;) . As GG mentioned the DS will be snapped up by kids and will become the hot toy in the playground, just as Game & watch & later Gameboy have been before it.

The PSP isn't even in competition too much with the DS as it's more a handheld multimedia device that kids won't really go for. The PSP will be bought by older kids & adults mainly as that is the market that Sony have targeted. What Sony have done is learned lessons from the likes of the Lynx and Game Gear, which went for the same market as the Gameboy & lost. Although they were more high tech & colour, they had poor battery life & were too big meaning that they weren't idea for use by kids in the playground etc. They also had no other function to endear them to adults and were therefore just less practical versions of the gameboy, albeit with nicer graphics.

5. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    On small screens you aren't gonna notice a lot of detail so there really isnt any need for super effects like AA and other filtering, I hope both do well but I fear the PSP will struggle a bit, prolly gonna get both anyway.

This all reminds me of the days of Gameboy and Gamegear

6. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    The difference was that the game gear was also just a games machine fighting for the same market as Gameboy. The PSP and DS are going at very different (although obviously with some degree of crossover) markets though so you sholdn't have the problems that faced previous handhelds like the GG & Linx. The PSP also has a very useable & impressive screen that shows off the machines capabilities well, where as previous handhelds have had screens around half the size.

7. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I thought about the "Kids" factor and realised that Nintendo ARE selling the DS to a much younger generation, probably since todays kids (10 year olds) never actually had the chance to play the SNES or the N64. And the GBA and DS represent those consoles.
    Its kind of a revival of the old nintendo consoles, for todays youth!

Makes sense for nintendo, however, it is going to be the limiting factor if they try to sell the DS to an older market. Most of us DID have a SNES and N64, and most of us older gamers WONT pay to play rehashed games.

I will also buy both machines (DS and PSP) come December, and at least 2 games for each machine, but at the moment both machines still have a lot to prove since most games that are coming in december are old rehashes!