1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dry Eyes!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rockhopper, Aug 2, 2005.

1. rockhopper

rockhopper
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it just me, or does anybody else suffer from what I think is known as 'dry eye syndrome'?

I wore contact lenses from about age 16 -> 23 all day long with not much bother. At age 25 I now find I cant wear them for more than 2-3 hours before my eyes give me grief :mad: . So I generally stick to glasses. I thought if I stop wearing the contacts my eyes would take more oxygen and stop being so dry - it has helped but I still suffer.

Sorry, I know it's hardly an exciting fun-filled read, but this is a pretty serious problem for me and you guys may be able to help!...

The problem usually starts when I have been either (a) sat in front of the PC all day, or (b) watch a lengthy DVD/TV program. This is bloody irritating considering my job involves a PC all day, and i'm well into my AV gear which involves watching the tele.

I have been to my opticians about this several times, but they say use eye drops, which my eyes seem to instantly soak up! I wonder if I should try the docs instead???

So, does anyone else suffer whilst trying to enjoy a film??? I just thought with this being an AV place, it may be a place to try an find an answer - surely some of you have dry eyes?

Any help would be fantastic!

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,892
    A good optician knows a hell of a lot more about eyes than a doctor does, so I would go with what the opticians advises. As I deal with opticians I'll give a couple of them a ring tomorrow if I get the time and let you know their views.

3. rockhopper

rockhopper
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks that would be great!

I have been with my opticians since about 5, and theyve been fine, I just wish they had some sort of cure.

Anyway, i'll look forward to your optician's views, cheers.

4. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,405
    I'd guess you've got a 'thin tear film' just like myself... the symptoms sound absolutely identical..

have you got 'quite big' eyes by any chance? apparently the two often go hand in hand... I need 14.5mm lenses, the biggest available.

basically, the more you blink the better your eyes feel, ( the same for everybody) that's why you'll always notice this condition when you're in front of the PC or TV... you stare a lot harder, and blink a lot less, basically.

If you still want to go with lenses... CibaVision Focus Monthly should be much much better... (and their counterpart solutions) they are literally the only lenses I can use for more than a few hours at a time.
    With these, I can leave mine in for days without any difficulty at all.

I'd definitely go to a new optician as well.... not kidding!!... and get them to have a look around first, it could be something more serious, but I'd be suprised.. It took me 5 years to get to the bottom of this, but I'm well sorted now I know the reason, and what to avoid...

5. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Same problems here, largely due to anti-histamines which help with the hay-fever but dehydrate me. You could try drinking more water, it might help.

If regular eye-drops don't last long, try some tear supplements. Ask for Liquifilm Tear supplement, or any preservative free tear supplement. They're thicker than regular eye drops, but I find they actually work.

Cheers, Carl.

6. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I used to suffer the same thing but I switched to Acuvue daily disposables and have had few problems since. Still dry out very ocassionally but usually only when in a smokey atmosphere or having worn them for 12+ hours. I make sure that I take them out as soon as I get home and rarely wear them at weekends. Seems to work for me :confused:

Hope you get it sorted :smashin:

7. rockhopper

rockhopper
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well Dude, I cant ask for a better answer than that - thanks a lot!

I will definately try those CibaVision Focus Monthly ones! Over the last 2-3 years I reckon i've tried about 15 different kinds, but i'm not sure about the CibaVisions - i'll ring my opticians tomorrow and ask.

I have tried another opticians - went to Specsavers, who had a good look at my eyes. They basically said the same, and gave me 'another' pair to try - no joy. At least I know there's nothing 'serious' wrong with my eyes... I think... I hope!

I wonder if it might be worth buying some off the internet??? Have you seen how cheap they are compared to how much you get stung at the opticians?!?!

By the way I don't have particularly big eyes, but if I remember rightly last time I went to opticians they also said I have a 'thin tear film', so I am really looking forward to trying the CibaVision Focus. In fact, i'm gonna do a google search now and check em out...
    THANKS AGAIN!

8. rockhopper

rockhopper
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Woah a lot more replies than expected - maybe this is more common than I thought.

Smelly - I will also try the Acuvue daily, thanks

cwick - I have tried a few different types of drops, two of which were the thicker type - they did help freshen my eyes up instantly, but unfortunately didnt last. I may try another kind..

Cheers everyone.. any more???

9. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,890
  10. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,405
    make sure the room is always well lit as well mate, as totally backwards as this sounds, the more ambient light around when you're watching, the less you actually stare daggers at the screen......

11. rockhopper

rockhopper
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Squiffy,

thanks but I have thought this through, and I have decided to wait a few years before I get it done - just to see how things go. I know its been around along time now but I suppose at the minute I just dont have the balls... my girlfiend doesnt help matters (err not about the balls, heh) she doesnt want me to get it done incase the worst happens. Whenever I mention it she cringes.

Dude, yeah I know what you mean mate, I notice it can be worse when I watch a film in darkness - the image seems much more crisp, sharper and brighter. It can actually hurt when a dark scene suddenly turns white - ouch!! I dont think thats just me though... When I move house in a week (my first mortgage - aargh!), my mate has kindly offered to lend me his projector - I am hoping the softer projected image will more comfortable on the eye. Would you agree? I suppose i'll have to watch in the dark then though - cant win!

12. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,405
    yep, you've got the 'laser beam' eyes too by the sound of it... :rolleyes:

based on my experiences, a small TV screen (and mine is a 42" !) in a darkened room, is about as bad as it gets for people like me..

either watch with some lighting, or make the screen bigger... :smashin:

13. rockhopper

rockhopper
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll definately be making the image some size :thumbsup:

Never had a projector - looking forward to it!

14. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I mostly wear glasses now but I still have contacts for when I feel like it - but I have to have dailies as monthly last a week before they dry my eyes out (my tear ducts produce very little water). I have to have Ciba Dailies because AFAIK they were the only manufacturer who made daily ones that corrected my astigmatism.

But go to a decent-ish opticians and they'll give the best advice.

15. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,892
    Had a chat with a very good optician and he says that dry eyes are usually not a sign of something else. As long as your optician has check the eye and especially the tear duct, things should be OK, but if in doubt see another Optician. Arthritis can cause dry eyes as well. It can be different reasons for a female though, so this advise is for blokes !
    They recommend Systane eye drops and a lot of their patients find them very good. Because they are not pharmaceutical you can use them as many times a day as needed and they also keep for up to 6 months (some eye drops will only keep for 30 days). This is good for people who have occasional problems when flying or when in a heavily air-conditioned room where all the moisture has been sucked out.
    Quite a few of their patients also have achieved results with Visionace vitamin supplements.
    Edit - I forgot to say that it's important for everyone to force their eyes to focus on something else every 15 minutes or so. When you look at a computer screen you are staring at it intensly and not blinking as much as you should be also. I get up ans walk around every 15 minutes or so and that forces your eyes to focus on something more distant. It's important if you've got dry eyes to do this as well.

16. rockhopper

rockhopper
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks JohnG, i'll have a look at these Systane eye drops - its all worth a shot :)

Had a word with my opticians yesterday - theyre going to call me tomorrow with advice.

I'll let you know what happens - thanks again people :smashin: