DRX280 Sky+ drive upgrade no startup

kennylands84

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi
My first thread so please bear with me.
I have an Amstrad DRX280 Sky+ box that I would like to upgrade the hard drive. I've purchased a Western Digital WD5000AAKB 500GB drive for. I've also downloaded and installed Copy+.
I've searched round the net for instructions and followed those for the DRX180, but the box doesn't restart.
The new drive presumably is unformatted. After installing it, plug the box back into the mains, it does not start up, but stays in standby mode, the fan coming on for a few seconds then switching off, so I can't go to the SKy setup page ,press 01, select, etc.

Should I:
1. format the drive using Copy+ from a pc first before installing it in the Sky box
2. try the left+right, select option to reset, does that do a drive format ?
3. something else ??

All the net pages I've found suggest the box should start up normally and you perform a factory reset through the Setup, 01, select, etc.

Any ideas ?

I think your No 2 option will be the easiest to try first
(remove plug > press and hold Left/Right buttons on the Sky box > plug-in > record light comes on > press Select on sky box > fingers crossed)

I recently upgraded my Sky+HD box using a Samsung 1tb Drive and had just the same problem :confused:

After hours of fiddling about I figured-out the Drive I was using had been formatted (the Sky Box doesn't recognize Windows Formatted Drives)

If you can format it using copy+ try that but I used Disk Management to Delete the Partition, then used copy+ to transfer my recordings (Again)

Stuck my Sky Box back together, turned on, everything worked, breathed a huge sigh of relief :thumbsup:

Hope that's of some help, Good Luck

To open Computer Management:

click Start > and then click Control Panel > Double-click Administrative Tools > and then double-click Computer Management > click Disk Management

or

from Microsoft Help & Support:
How to use Disk Management
To start Disk Management:
Log on as administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
Click Start, click Run, type compmgmt.msc, and then click OK.
In the console tree, click Disk Management. The Disk Management window appears. Your disks and volumes appear in a graphical view and list view.
To customize how you view your disks and volumes in the upper and lower panes of the window, point to Top or Bottom on the View menu, and then click the view that you want to use.

NOTE: Microsoft recommends that you create a full back up of your disk contents before you make any changes to your disks or volumes.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Choi, I'll give it a go. I read somewhere else that the Sky+ boxes can't format over 250gb so I would have a problem anyway.
Will try Copy+ I think.

Thanks for that Choi, I'll give it a go. I read somewhere else that the Sky+ boxes can't format over 250gb so I would have a problem anyway.
Will try Copy+ I think.
Sky boxes can now format up to 508GB.
Copy+ is useless to you unless you have a correctly prepared disk to copy from in the first place. Copy+ needs the "empty" system files (which it can not create from scratch) from a donor disk to complete the format process.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom