Drunk tanks

Derkster

Prominent Member
Reaction score
If have been listening on the radio about these drunk tanks.

Basically if you don't know already the police will have the right to put you in a drunk tank over night to sober up and then charge you for the pleasure in the morning.

Personally i think it is a good idea. I would hope that when my little girl grows up she wouldn't get into such a state where she is flat out on the pavement, but if she did i would prefer her to be safe. If the police then charge her £100 for the pleasure then so be it, she will only do it once!!!

What does everybody else think?

I agree. Think it needs to be a tad more leniant though, say first time is free, as a warning. When they leave they're told how much it would have cost.

Is the implication that they would be more inclined to take people in if they got some cash for it?

I would like to think it would happen anyway, whether they were paid for it or not.

Travel Lodge is cheaper and does the same thing. :)

yep, I was thinking of setting one up and charging only 50 quid...for an extra tenner I'll throw in some breakfast :smashin:

Travel Lodge is cheaper and does the same thing. :)

:)

But if you are that wasted that you are flat out on a pavement how the hell you gonna get to a Travel Lodge. Surely if you can do that you can get home.

Currently talking about this on BBC news and the guy said there's word of it costing between three and four hundred pounds for the pleasure of a stay in the drunk tank.

What does everybody else think?
A "public" service that has the power to unlawfully lock up innocent people against their will, and then charge them for it?
Kidnap and extortion, or slavery.

A clear breech of human rights.

In 43 yrs I've managed to avoid being so wasted that I end up unconscious on the pavement.

In my younger days if I went out in Belfast (30 miles away), my friends and I would always book into the local drunk tank (Travel Lodge) rather than paying for a taxi home.

I heard it will be nearly £500 with the fine. Sounds like another nice little earner for private security firms with the right contacts.

Stopping supermarkets selling cheap booze, enforce the current licensing laws and possibly bring back a sensible closing time might be a better solution.

A "public" service that has the power to unlawfully lock up innocent people against their will, and then charge them for it?

:laugh:

I don't know if anybody watched "Bouncers" on C4 a couple of weeks ago? There was a guy passed out in the club and the doormen evicted him at closing time. The guy could obviously not stand up but they managed to get him on his two feet and he walked 10 steps and fell flat on his head and had a very nasty cut which need an ambulance.

Now the question is what would you do if you the doormen?

I would have phoned the police as he was on his own and not a local, but what would the police do? They wouldn't get an address as he wasn't compos mentis! Thats where i think the drunk tanks are a good idea.

If the £400 is true then thats taking the proverbial ! :thumbsdow

We should have Drunk Tanks with puzzle locks on the doors and assault courses to get out. If you can make it you're a free man, if you're still there in the morning you pay the fine.

We should have Drunk Tanks with puzzle locks on the doors and assault courses to get out. If you can make it you're a free man, if you're still there in the morning you pay the fine.
You could add some traps that kill you in the grossest of ways. Hold on, that rings a bell.....

They've said they'd be run by private companys.

So basically some fat cat will be making a fortune paying thugs (sorry - licensed security enforcers) to go around city centres press ganging anyone who's remotely sauced up in order to take £500 off them the next day.

Imagine - you've had a couple - you're drunk but by no means incapable of getting yourself home & with no intention of causing trouble. Your nabbed by the fat baldys in black who accuse you of being too drunk and it's off to the drunk tank which you know is going to cost you £500 the next morning.
What do you do? the more you dispute how drunk you are, the more you resist being taken away the more guilty you appear.

If it goes ahead I'm opening bar with adjoining drunk tanks.
Free drinks all night then at midnight the bouncers transfer everyone from the bar to the drunk tanks - for £500 a head I'll even throw in breakfast.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
A great idea.

Far too long, people have woken up in the moring after a heavy night, eaten humble pie, say they are sorry, and get given a caution, and off they go.

Financial penalties seems to be only language they understand. :thumbsup:

The only problem is any private company will want to make a profit, profits means hitting targets, targets means getting the numbers in the door so to speak...

Imagine - you've had a couple - you're drunk but by no means incapable of getting yourself home & with no intention of causing trouble.

Some sort of on-the-spot test, like the breathalyser. So many times over the limit and you're sent there?

Guess you might put up a fight if it was potentially going to cost you £500.

And you might not be able to pay and end up in jail with a criminal record, lose your job and add to the ranks of the unemployed. Great.

I imagine it will work something like this:

You are being drunk and disorderly and police arrest you - instead of taking you to the police station, using up the time of at least one PC and a car, and then taking up a cell that could be used for someone else, they will issue you with an on the spot fine for the crime, and then pass you over to the private company who will run their own clean up van/centre and then charge you for the priviledge.

This isn't for locking people up - it is when people are too drunk to get themselves home safely.

I imagine it will work something like this:

You are being drunk and disorderly and police arrest you - instead of taking you to the police station, using up the time of at least one PC and a car, and then taking up a cell that could be used for someone else, they will issue you with an on the spot fine for the crime, and then pass you over to the private company who will run their own clean up van/centre and then charge you for the priviledge.

This isn't for locking people up - it is when people are too drunk to get themselves home safely.

Ah, it's for their own good. Why not put them in a cab and send them home then. Guess we need id cards which I always thought was a good idea anyway.

i agree with it if it's a £100 fine for the person that's drunk and the system is run by the police and not security firms.

security firms will just abuse the system to get more profit.

Currently talking about this on BBC news and the guy said there's word of it costing between three and four hundred pounds for the pleasure of a stay in the drunk tank.

yup. that would take the ****. most of them are poor students or young 20 somethings.

maybe they should legalise some of the illegal things that dont make you so hammered you pass out?

You could add some traps that kill you in the grossest of ways. Hold on, that rings a bell.....

cube 4? :laugh:

They've said they'd be run by private companys.

So basically some fat cat will be making a fortune paying thugs (sorry - licensed security enforcers) to go around city centres press ganging anyone who's remotely sauced up in order to take £500 off them the next day.

Imagine - you've had a couple - you're drunk but by no means incapable of getting yourself home & with no intention of causing trouble. Your nabbed by the fat baldys in black who accuse you of being too drunk and it's off to the drunk tank which you know is going to cost you £500 the next morning.
What do you do? the more you dispute how drunk you are, the more you resist being taken away the more guilty you appear.

If it goes ahead I'm opening bar with adjoining drunk tanks.
Free drinks all night then at midnight the bouncers transfer everyone from the bar to the drunk tanks - for £500 a head I'll even throw in breakfast.:thumbsup:

or they end up grabbing people with parkinsons etc. i wouldnt be so bad with the police doing it but private firms? G4? would you trust them?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom