1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dropping Frames

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by andystud, May 2, 2002.

1. andystud

andystud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whenever i try to import video from my DV camcorder, via my PC's firewire card i drop frames and the captured avi file is jerky.
    What is the best way to overcome this.
    Is it a hardware issue or a software issue.
    I am thinking about upgrading my CPU as i am running XP with a 500MHz processor, but if its a problem with the way i am importing can someone give me some advice.
    I have tried importing using Adobe Premiere 6, Ulead media studio, scenalyzer and they all drop frames.

2. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Most likely this is a disk problem, although the processor is maybe a little slow. You should be using minimum ATA100 drives and should make sure DMA is enabled.

3. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Almost certainly this is a HDD speed problem. Capturing DV does not require a lot of processing only packaging the DV into an AVI and a seperate audio channel within the AVI.

Dubbing Mixer is right about setting up the HDD, but try closing all other applications (use Ctrl/Alt/Del) and minimse the capturing application.

4. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It may also be worthwhile closing down superfluous applications and disabling the clock display in the task bar, 'Find Fast and anything else which is running and has no bearing on what you are doing.

I shoudl have mentioned disk speed before. (Thanks JefUK) Apart from the speed of the interface, you also need to consider the rotational speed of the drive. IDE drives are commonly available in either 5400rpm or 7200rpm flavours. 5400 is adequate, usually, but if the system is on the same drive with swap file etc. this may be the problem. The other thing to consider is cache size (on the drive, that is) 2MB should be fine less, maybe not, more ought to be fine.

5. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you using a dedicated HDD for the video, or using the system drive?