Dropped the flippin' tele - advice needed...

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by marathon429, Dec 22, 2004.

1. marathon429

marathon429

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been lurking for a while, but now I need some good advice....

I received a Toshiba 36zp48 today, but after unpacking it and setting up the stand a disaster occurred..........

Whilst manouvering it ready to put it on the stand, my bruv tripped on a rug and dropped his end resulting a shower of broken plastic and me becoming apopletic with rage. :oops:

Now I thought at this moment that my £1150 investment was up the swannie, but once i'd managed to superglue the broken bits back into some kind of order and got the thing onto the stand, I switched it on and it seems fine. Great picture, perfectly alligned and everything working as it should.

Now the drop was all of about a foot onto the right, front corner, landing on a soft rug. But this is still a 60kg tv and i'm wondering whether any internal problems might take a while to appear or if the minor cosmetic damage (cracked speaker cover and a mark on the bottom of the bezel) is all there is to worry about.

I plan to phone the insurance company tomorrow to make a claim, but should I insist that there is more than just cosmetic damage?

2. Just Some Ugly

Just Some Ugly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You should of just said it arrived damaged

3. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    'Just some Ugly'. What you are suggesting is tantamount to fraud. yt.

4. marathon429

marathon429

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The delivery driver helped me unpack it and get it the house, so why would I want to drop him in the sticky stuff. I should imagine there's some kind of QC before it leaves the depot.

No, i'm going to claim on my accidental damage insurance (if I can) and as long as the internals are going to be okay, i'm happy with a new speaker cover............

5. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :nono: That's not cricket!

6. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,294
    There are two main things to check when a TV is dropped (I work for a manufacturer and and I've seen hundreds!):

1. Crack in one of the PCBs. This may result in intermittent faults. Give the set a few smacks with the palm of your hand. If it doesn't cause any picture or sound disturbance or any other strange symptoms, it's probably OK.

2. Problems with the tube. The most likely problem is a displaced or detached shadowmask inside the tube. This would show as purity error. Try to get a screen completely filled with one colour, red is best (you can use the BBC's red programme listing screens if you can't get anything else) and look for any impurity in the colour. This usually shows in the corners first. You need to check when the set is cold and again after it has been on for a few hours.

If those two check out OK then it should be OK in the long term.

7. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Why does RED show it up the most? The BBC's interlude screen is my best friend at the moment!(see thread about "would you expect this"!!) By the way,when i got my Pioneer freeview box i wondered what use the screen capture could be? Well it's great for checking purity!! I've got captures of the BBC's screen(RED)an intel advert(WHITE) and some others that show the purity perfectly :)

8. marathon429

marathon429

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gary B.....

Just spoken to my insurers who have said to go and get quotes. One repairer wanted £40 to come out and another £25 if he had to take it in. I've now spoken to an independant Toshiba repairer who's going to come out next week.

9. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,294
    The main reason is that the red phosphor inside a tube is the least sensitive of the three colours used. It therefore requires the highest beam current. When this lands on the phosphors of the wrong colour it lights them brighter than would be the case if they were being driven by their own gun. It therefore produces the most visible errors.

10. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,294
  11. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: