dropped frames help

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by molipa, Oct 29, 2005.

1. molipa

molipa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just started using my pc to edit pop music videos.Previously i had been doing this on my dvd recorder,the problem is although the transition effects look good, when viewing a video after burning a copy it appears that every few seconds there's a slight jump in the picture.
    I have captured the videos on to my hard drive by extracting the VOB files from my dvd of the pop music videos then edited them using Intervideo windvd creator.
    My PC is a p4 2.8 ghz with 512mb of ram.
    Could anybody out there explain what is going wrong :lease:

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,547
    This is never an easy one to beat. There are just too many possible causes, but we can at least suggest a few things to try. The specs of your PC should be more than good enough to do what you require.
    As you are getting the files off a DVD it is not going to be a problem of dropped frames during capture, you are jst copying a file from DVD to HDD, so the problem must be at some other point. I suggest you try the following options:

Make sure DMA is enabled for the HDD (this is a must for video editing)
    Have the HDD and DVD drive on a separate IDE channel
    Stop all background programs such as screensaver, powersave modes, antivirus/firewall etc etc.
    Defragment the HDD
    Makes sure there is plenty of space on the HDD
    Burn the DVD's at a slower speed
    Try different editing/burning software
    Try different media, both make & dye type

Most editing software can be downloaded for a free 30 day trial to see if that works for you. As you are working with DVD's I suggest you look at Ulead software as this is good at reading the video direct from a DVD disc - Have a look at DVD MovieFactory and Video Studio, the first being a DVD authoring program with basic editing and the second being an editing program with basic DVD authoring tools.

Mark.

3. molipa

molipa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think i've solved the problem,the software was transfering the video files at 3600 kb/s,i changed the quality to HQ or 7000 kb/s and hey presto when i burnt a dvd off i had no frame jump. :clap: