Dropbox size increases ~ Why?

Discussion in 'iPad Forum' started by Beards, Mar 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Beards

Beards

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I have noticed over the short period of using my first iPad that Dropbox has slowly been increasing in the size reported in Usage.
    Where I do not understand is how this increase is being met.
    I do not have any files associated with Dropbox Favourites.
    I do however open Dropbox files then transfer them into the Kindle App for reading.

Thinking it was here where Dropbox was increasing in it's size I deleted the file in Kindle and had another look at the Usage stats.
    Whilst Kindle had reduced it's usage size Dropbox however had not.
    More weird was when I then told Dropbox to again open the same file in Kindle, after the transfer and back to Usage Kindle had increased proportionately but Dropbox had now increased for the second time..
    In other words Kindle first increased on transfer then reduced the size on deletion, finally increasing the size on the re-transfer.
    Dropbox however simply increased the Usage size twice. Once when I opened and transferred the first time and again when I transferred the second time.

Any ideas on why Dropbox keeps increasing and more importantly how to reduce it's size?
    At this rate it won't be long before Dropbox becomes the main usage app on the iPad and ever increasing......

2. darkmavis

darkmavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Dropbox created duplicates of files to stop the getting overwritten. Have a look for conflicted copies.

3. Beards

Beards

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Nothing to show any conflicts. I think at this stage I would love to know where this space is being used.
    Currently the usage stats for Dropbox for me is currently at 1.8GB and growing.

4. bransoj

bransoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +475
    Its not set to store copies of photos taken is it? There is an option in there that when i photo is taken its uploaded automatically.

5. Beards

Beards

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    yes it's set to upload automatically photo's taken with the iPad.
    If that is one of the reasons why Dropbox keeps increasing in usage it is a very poor way of iOS handling Dropbox.
    At least on an Android device you can delete the size of double downloaded data and thus reduce the usage stored on Android devices.
    You simply navigate to the Dropbox folder and delete what content has been double downloaded.

However, that is only one reason why my Dropbox is ever increasing at an alarming rate.
    Any PDF files I download from Dropbox and add to Kindle increase not just Kindle but Dropbox as well.