drop outs of sound and pops on sky+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by dangerouseddy, Jan 6, 2005.

1. dangerouseddy

dangerouseddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i get drop outs of sound and pops every so often, when wathing a channel live it seems fine but if i rewind and watch from the hd i have those problems.

i would assume that itd be recording from the same tuner as i was watching. am i right in thinking that this is an hd problem rather than a lnb/dish alignment problem?

i only bought it yesterday and had it installed today so can recall the bloke to realign the dish if necessary.

if its an hd problem then i could return the sky plus box but since ive a 250 gb maxline hd on order i think i'll just bung that in the pace v2 box.

2. dangerouseddy

dangerouseddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think the hd could be on its way out, i turned instant rewind off last night. but turned it on again this morning and the sky+ box has turned itself off twice since.

not surprising if the hd is knackered, the packing holding the sky+ box whilst being sent via courier is a bit naff, just some cardboard - i would have used polysterne like most other manufacturers do.

3. dangerouseddy

dangerouseddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    would a full system reset do any good?

4. Joebo

Joebo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I am having the same problems. My Sky+ box was replaced at the end of November and lasted four weeks beofre crashing again. The replcement box was replaced again yesterday when I noticed the sound problem. Engineer to visit again on Wednesday to fix fault/replace box again. THE SOUND INTERFERENCE SEEMS TO BE WORST ON 301, 302, 303 but other channels are affected to some degree with squeaks and sound breakup. According to the supervisor who rang me this morning there is an ongoing issue with these three movie channels regarding sound. Even if the box is replaced there is no gaurantee that the three movies channels will regain normal sound. I have sent a letter to Sky and am awating a reply. I will also send a letter to my local trading standards office to see if they can offer advice or help with the situation. I'll post more info after Wednesday wheb the engneer should have the problem fixed.

5. dangerouseddy

dangerouseddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well mines going back as it crashes or goes into standby at least once a day. the courier is picking it up monday to take it back to pace.

6. Brianjhussey

Brianjhussey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Joebo,
    I would be very interested in what the engineer has to report after his visit to you.
    I bought the Sky 160 package in November after months of deliberation and have been very pleased, encountering none of the problems reported on this forum eg failed recordings, noisy fans etc.etc.
    However, I have experienced the sound dropout on recorded movies, which is extremely irritating. Having read your item, I now realise it occurs on channels 301, 302and 303.
    Your comments will assist in my course of action.

Brian.

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Channels 301, 302 and 303 are the highest data-rate channels, because they are high picture quality, and they also carry Dolby Digital sound data.

Is your reported signal Quality better than 60% ? It could be that your boxes can't cope with the higher error rates on these channels.

8. Brianjhussey

Brianjhussey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Nick,
    The signal Quality looks to be about 60%.
    Surely the Sky boxes should be able to cope?
    My set up is: Tosh RP, Sky box and Tosh 520 DVD player.

Thanks for your help.

Brian.

9. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It should cope at better than about 50%. Check that this does not change when you get the sound pops. My signal quality is 80 to 90%, but my box is a plain-vanilla Sky+ box, and the 160 box may report quality a little differently.

10. Joebo

Joebo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Brian

I'll post sometime tomorrow with the results of the engineers visit. I have had problems with the three main movie channels before but going into the setup and changing the option from Dolby Digital to normal seemed to fix the problem. If the sound on the three movie channels doesn't improve I will be demanding a refund from Sky plus compensation for two days leave I've had to take off to wait for engineers. I have my old digibox set up in another room waiting to become part of a home cinema project but the sound on that seems to be ok. However, as I don't have a card for the movie channels for that box I can't test them. There is no break up at all on other channels eg BBC1 and 2 or radio stattions on the old box so I think/hope it may be an LNB problem.

11. Brianjhussey

Brianjhussey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Joebo,
    Following the posts on here, I went into the setup menu and changed the option from NORMAL to Dolby Digital!!
    It didn't work for me.

As you say, I experience no other problems.
    Thank you for your help.

Brian.

12. Joebo

Joebo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Brian

The old box was replaced on Wednesay with an Amstrad and as soon as I settled down to watch TV about and hour or so after the engineer had left I noticed banding on the screen. Rang Sky no help there. Waited until Thursday and tried the box again still banding so rang Sky again. Was told that the Amstrad box had an inherent fault (services menu, number 4 and then look for version number, 4F2001 is the version which is faulty) which was causing the banding and the box would have to be replced again. The old box was faulty which caused the sound fault and the dish was out of alaignmnet which didn't help. The sound fault on the three movie channels has also cleared. I have an engineer caling out next Saturday to replace the Amstrad with a Pace box I hope!
    Got a letter from Sky yesterday giving me half price viewing for two months, better than nothing but there is another letter on its way to them detailing the latest developments and asking for considerably more by way of compensation. Bottom line is I have no faith left in the company at all.

13. Brianjhussey

Brianjhussey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Joebo,
    I am truly sorry to learn of your ongoing problems with your Sky box and I understand your feelings about the company. Having read about the poor customer support on the various forums I was very reluctant about signing up to Sky. However, taking advantage of a special offer for the Sky+160, I took the plunge in November and, apart from the sound dropout on Channels 301, 302 and 303 I have had no other problems and am very satisfied.
    I am not very impressed with the Movie Channels in general and was considering dropping them. I am, therefore, reluctant to change anything in case other, more irritating problems occur.
    It's a shame that such a good product is let down by poor customer support.
    I hope that, eventually, your problems are satisfactorily resolved.
    Thank you for your input.

Brian.