Drop down bedroom ceiling TV lift

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by hoop1960, Jul 17, 2015.

1. hoop1960

hoop1960
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all, sorry if i have posted in the wrong section but would appreciate it if anyone has experience in fitting a bedroom drop down lift.
    The mechanism i am looking to use for my 42" Samsung is from AV4Home model LF600 which appears will do the trip, i have searched the web for any ideas/projects on fitting a lift within the loft but, as at yet nothing is apparent. My loft space is built with rood trusses and, the trusses are going in the right direction for me not having to mess about with them so ideally the drop will be in between the 400 (16") center's.
    Any members got any advice on a project such as this?

2. cmclean

cmclean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Check out Future Automation

3. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,096
    I put a TV lift on my living room wall as I don't want my TV stuck up high in a bay window, but I wanted to fit my on wall centre speaker at the same level as the left/right speakers for when I use my projector. So in some ways it is the reverse of your plan, but if you invert my lift then it would work how you want, though you'd need to make some kind of supporting frame in the loft.

My lift was about £220 from Ascending Vision on eBay:

Plasma & LCD Motorised TV Lift. Venset TS460. | eBay

TV lift down.jpg TV lift up.jpg TV lowered.jpg TV raised.jpg Screen down lift raised.jpg

4. hoop1960

hoop1960
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nice job, i am hoping to pin my Samsung UE32J5500 to this model from AV4Home
    LF600 Flat Screen TV lift, Motorised TV Lift, Electric TV Lift

It states that it has a drop down travel of 600mm, as the dimensions of the TV is 721 x 425 i assume that will give me a clearance of 175mm from ceiling to top of TV when fully deployed, somehow i think that 175mm might just not be enough however, going to give it a go.

Just one question though, i have a Virgin VBox all connected up in the bedroom, how would you suggest controlling this when its hidden away in the loft, can you get a magic eye for the remote, my whole idea is to tuck as much away as possible so i dont want it visible, i do have a Logitech Harmony 1100 controlling all at the moment which will enable control of the TV but not the Vbox if its out of view.

5. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    1 - I would go for the 700mm drop lift
    2 - the thing with the lift is about making a decent cabinet for it, you are going to want effectively a box in the loft that keeps the TV separated from the rest of the cobwebs and dust. You are also going to want a nice clean solution for edging the ceiling where the slot is going to be. And the worst thing of all with these cheap lifts is that there is never any kind of cable management so you are going to need to work out a way of keeping the cabling tidy but also able to raise and lower with the TV without snagging.
    3 - you need the Logitech RF extender which will wirelessly take the signal from the remote and emit to your Virgin box (and other devices tucked away in the cupboard or whatever)

6. hoop1960

hoop1960
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So here we go, i am ordering a TS750 lift and intend to fit a MF ceiling, finish will be a tape and joint job with clean cut MF angle for the apature. Our workshop (i work for a construction company) will make me a MDF box for loft, intend to black it out and use a single MDF cover to flush fit back into the opening when closed, not wanting a hinged lid. My initial intention is to put the Samsung V Box into the loft as well and use a Logitech IR repeater to control this but, am worried that it might not operate correctly, cannot think of anywhere else to put the box really, lets see how it goes ehh...fingers crossed.

7. hoop1960

hoop1960
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    IMG_2473[2].JPG IMG_2476[1].JPG IMG_2475[1].JPG Well, its in and all working, the lift though is not as quiet as i would have liked though, 18mm MDF box in the loft, drop is 700mm

8. 28061

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Looks great. Good job! [emoji106][emoji122]

9. hoop1960

hoop1960
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    All painted and finished, must admit though, the TS700a is a tad more noisy than i thought, its advertised as "quiet, near silent" but would not agree on this. IMG_2487.JPG

10. 28061

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Great finish that is dude. Well done. [emoji106]

11. hooper1960

hooper1960
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: