1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drop Ceiling or Sheetrock Celing? - What would be best?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by wumagic, May 3, 2003.

1. wumagic

wumagic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im at the stage now where its time to start putting up sheetrock and finishing off my room, my question is I know a Drop ceiling would be ideal but I dont think I have enough room for it, tell me what you think.. The height of my theater is about 7ft high, should i bother with a drop ceiling or should I just conserver the little space that I have with sheetrock?

Thanks!

Wu-

2. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
  3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Sounds like a suspended ceilign to me, office ceiling stylee.

If it is, they are very convenient for hiding cables and enabling clean projector installation.

Other than that you've got to make sure that none of it rattle under heavy bass.

Are you worried about sound isolation?

4. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I suspected it might be American for "suspended ceiling" but I wanted to be sure.

Yes, they're good for concealing cables but I'm not sure the drawbacks would outweigh the benefits, especially in a room that's only seven feet high to begin with.

Wumagic, if the alternative is Sheetrock (which is American for plasterboard, I believe) what is the surface like at the moment? If it's timber battens, then won't there be sufficient room behind the plasterboard to run cables anyway?

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

5. wumagic

wumagic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You guessed it, Im American! Drop ceiling/suspended ceiling yes, and Sheetrock/Plasterboard both the same.. Well Im not concerned with having to run wires as all my wires are ran already and are enclosed within the walls. Recessed lights are in just a bare basement with no ceiling..

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Do a double layer of plasterboard. Fit them at 90 degrees to each other and it sound help the sound insulation in the room.

7. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Yes, if it's sound insulation you need there are better ways than a dropped ceiling. Good luck with the project.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,017
    I'll agree with Retro's suggestion - two layers of sheetrock (half inch thick), and seal all edges/joins. Use silicon for the edges to prevent sound transfering upstairs.

Fit some rockwool insulation between the joists to reduce in-void resonance and other sound transmission.

You'll still get bass transfer to a degree, but you'll have reduced much of the other noise.

Gary.