Drone rebuild and geared motors

r34dl33

Novice Member
Hi All, I am new to drones. I have an old BRUSHED drone, that I stripped from its case and put on a new frame. The old case was heavy and had GEARs between the Props and the Motors. I chose to build a Whooping style drone, props directly onto the motors.

The drone is complete, but it will not lift off. All the motors spin correctly and very fast, but it doesn't take off?

Any clues guys? The gears look as though they would slow the motors. My drone has gone from 150g to about 75g. It used to have 4inch props, but most whoops using the same motors only use 2inch. I am thinking I either need wider props or to somehow incorporate the gears?

Any help is appreciated :)

rickyt

The most common problem when the drone wont lift off after motors/props have been re-fitted is motors fitted on the wrong corners or the props on the wrong motors. 2 motors spin CCW and 2 motors spin CW and the props are designed to fit on the appropiate motors.ie 2 props are CW and 2 are CCW . See the diagram below ,it may not be the case with your drone, but it's worth looking.

Attachments

• prop direc.jpg
    prop direc.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 21

r34dl33

Novice Member
I checked the motor direction. What I have done is stripped a RTF drone.. it had large props, I remover the gears and fitted whoop drone props.

I managed to get some lift after removing more item and the battery. I think I need a larger frame and wider props? I went from 5inch to 2inch props..

There is no way to tune the controller.. maybe it was a silly idea to try and shrink this drone :)

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
The difference in lift between a 2" and 5" prop is huge.

Brushless motors have a KV rating - which is basically the rpm per volt off load. You would normally try and match the optimum motor speed to a prop with the level of lift you require.

You could try a 3 blade prop to give more lift, or a larger prop size. The geared motors are designed to work with larger, lower speed props to brushless and direct drive brush motors, as they need more torque and less rpm.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom