Drone advice

Themoog56

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi. I’m getting twitchy and fancy acquiring a drone of some description..
A friend has the DJI Mavic Pro which is nice. I don’t really know what I want or what to go for first - I like the idea of the DJI Mini 2 with gps , Range, battery life etc but I also fancy having a go at this FPV.
Is there a ready to fly fpv kit that has gps so I can let go of the control and the drone will stay where it is?
My budget is probably the same as a DJI Mini 2 but would rather spend less if possible. I’m not into doing movies I just want to fly around and look at stuff from above and be able to fly as far away as possible.
Any advice is welcome.
Thanks.

Any of the drones with GPS will have "GPS hold" so that you can let go of the controller and it will just stay in position.

FPV is fine so long as you have a spotter - although to be honest, if you are out in open country and well away from obstructions, the chances of you causing any harm doing FPV are minimal.

The law says you must remain in visual contact with your drone, so you cannot fly out of sight - and in any case, the chances are that the controller will struggle to maintain a link if you are going that far away - or behind large structures.

Best advice: Use common sense when flying, do your drone test and get registered and consider other environmental and safety factors before flying. If the area you want to fly in is very busy, it's very windy or is too near an airport or other danger area, don't fly!

I’m in a rural location so it’s not busy. I’ve been researching the fpv and it’s a minefield and I don’t know enough about it so I reckon a half decent gps drone is the way to go. How can you fly a drone 2 miles away and still be able to see it? I’m not interested in that stupid law I just want to fly about whether I can see the drone or not. As long as I can press a return home button it’s all good.

I’m in a rural location so it’s not busy. I’ve been researching the fpv and it’s a minefield and I don’t know enough about it so I reckon a half decent gps drone is the way to go. How can you fly a drone 2 miles away and still be able to see it? I’m not interested in that stupid law I just want to fly about whether I can see the drone or not. As long as I can press a return home button it’s all good.
Unfortunately that sort of comment and attitude is why the laws exist I'm afraid.

Droves can occupy air space on a secondary basis, so if your drone is out of sight, how do you know it is operating safely? I reckon about 500m is your visual limit. What about power lines, other aircraft, aerial masts etc? If you cannot see them, you cannot avoid them.

Don't underestimate enforcement of the legislation. Drones have to carry a registration mark and if your drone crashes and gets reported, you could get fined and the drone seized.

Point taken. I don’t want to come across as irresponsible. I wouldn’t fly it in a dangerous manner.

fpv is rock hard to fly and will cost you ££££ in the short term when you crash it. you need to konw what your doing, charging the batteries isnt even a simple task with fpv.

fpv is rock hard to fly and will cost you ££££ in the short term when you crash it. you need to konw what your doing, charging the batteries isnt even a simple task with fpv.
Not on the GPS photo drones. We're not talking racing drones here, just floating around at a couple of hundred feet!

How can charging batteries be hard ?
dji systems are idiot proof. FPV's are totally diffrent. if you dont use them you have to discharge them, if you run then to low you destroy them, if you parallel charge them incorrectly they can burst into flames.

Not on the GPS photo drones. We're not talking racing drones here, just floating around at a couple of hundred feet!
ah, i associate fpv with the likes of Mr Steele

I've bought one.. A Jjrc X15 dragonfly. I researched lots and this popped up at a good price including 3 batteries. It's not a top of the range drone but it will do for a start.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom