1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DRME85 - Please Help - Whats Going On ??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by CJTheBrave, Jan 10, 2005.

1. CJTheBrave

CJTheBrave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chaps and Chapesses - I'm new here,

Posted a few days ago regarding DRME85 and the RGB throughput not being useable during record, but NOW a real odd one (or is that me?).

Can someone advise on the following please :-

I have DRME85 connected to Panasonic TV - RGB to RGB (unfortunately that means I cannot use Q-Link as thats on the other AV input of my TV :thumbsdow )

Now - whenever I record something via the timer, whilst watching a channel on the TV via RF, when the timer finishes, it switches the TV to AV1, firstly blank (I assume whilst the recording finalises) then over to whatever the RGB input on the DVD is (normally the Freeview Box).
    Not good when Miss Marple is just reciting her deductions :D

Have I done something wrong ??

Regards

Chris

2. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    Have you got the E85 in Timer standby only and not full standby?

3. CJTheBrave

CJTheBrave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Fred

It is 'OFF' and in timer mode - ie clock in display.

TV is Pana TX-28PK2/E - DMRE85 goes into AV1 as this is RGB in (sadly AV2 on TV is Q-Link but hey ho), and the DVD is set to AV1 output in RGB.

I have a Freeview box set to RGB feeding into AV2 on the DVD.

4. andykaz

andykaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get a similar problem to this on my E-55. When timer has finished (or if i stop it manually when by over riding the timer), it goes to channel 1 on RF (which is annoying as i do not have an RF input). If i am recording without timer, it simply goes to back to AV1 on my TV :confused:

5. bk8

bk8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    May or may not be related but I just got an E95 and having tried out a manual timed recording found that there was no RGB picture when in timer standby. I assumed the pasthrough would still work but it was just a blank screen with timer standby status message.

Is that what should happen as setting a timed recording means I cannot watch anything from SKY?

Also what is the difference between timer standby and full standby?

Thx!

6. skes

skes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I find when i set the timer on my E95 (and previous HS2) i loose my cable picture (rgb) if i then turn the machine onto standby i get it back, then when the recording starts it goes off again etc, so what i do is i run another scart from my cable box to the tv and watch it there (this is all providing i'm recording via the tuner) only problem is it's only Composite.

7. CJTheBrave

CJTheBrave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, thats the kind of effect I get too, but the biggest problem is that fact that when watching Terrestrial TV and recording something from either Digibox or another Terrestrial channel, once the recording finishes, the TV switches over to AV regardless of what the DVD was recording, and hence interrupts my viewing until I change it back.

Some use eh? Buy a Panasonic TV, then a Panasonic DVD Recorder:-
    First I find that I cant use passthrough when recording terrestrial
    Second that I cant use the RGB inputs and take advantage of Panasonics own Q-Link feature on 2 Panasonic items :rolleyes:
    And thrid, that I cant simply view my TV whilst the Recorder gets on with its business in the backgroud - without interruptions. :mad:

Compatibility ? - :censored:

I guess now I have to start destroying a perfectly good high quality Scart lead to disable the ident signals from reaching the TV do I ? :rolleyes:

Any bright ideas out there that can get round this one ??

Any suggestions gratefully recieved.

Chris

8. CJTheBrave

CJTheBrave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - got hold of medium quality scart that I can pull apart to test - anyone know which pin to remove so TV doesn't switch automatically via RGB scart input.

Pin 16 ? Status RGB ?

Is that a fair guess ?

9. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    Try pin 8 first and then if necessary 16. You don't have to damage the lead, the pins will push in quite easily once the small side retaining clip is pushed into the respective pin itself.

10. judy

judy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have an e85 with ntl and i have a scart to dvd and another to tv. oddly although i could use rgb output from ntl box it actually looks better in composite! my tv is a new sony lcd one. so praps you could try switching around the scarts and see. also my dvd feeds to tv via component leads. and yet the default output from the dvd to tv for recorded programs is AV1 not a bad picture at all, trouble is I dont know what AV1 is!!!! and where its come from. any ideas?
    judy

11. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    AV1

Functions

Setup

Connections

AV1 Output

12. CJTheBrave

CJTheBrave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK Fred (Mmmm sounds like a song title :rolleyes: )

Thanks for that advice - I'll try it later - work is getting in the way of pleasure at the moment. :thumbsdow

Judy - yeah I can see that I could use scarts the other way round, this would probably not fix the switching issues, but could well resolve the passthrough or alternative to viewing AV inputs whilst recording something else.
    Like Fred says - follow the menus and you can set up AV1 output to the standard you require.
    Is that what you meant ?

skes - it sounds like you have the same issues - yeah I use a second sacrt and hey presto - s-video instead - it's not bad, but it confuses the hell out of the rest of the household - they never know where to find things :thumbsup:

As for Panasonic - do they follow a standard across their range or is it me ??

Chris

13. CJTheBrave

CJTheBrave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fred,

You were quite right - 8 AND 16 needed pulling from the scart to stop the switching - very odd result with just 8 pulled.

So it seems to work - although obviously all auto-switching to AV is now disabled - at least I don't get unwanted switching. :clap:

Still seems most bizarre that anyone should have to go to these lengths just to get two items of equipment from the same manufacturer to work in a sensible manner. Might drop Panasonic a line on this one - something is a tiny bit awry in my eyes.

Andykaz - this might help with your problem too.

Cheers

Chris

14. andykaz

andykaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will give it a go, thanks :)

15. Master G

Master G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, All.

I have an E85, connected to a Philips iDTV. I've following the setup guide for each piece of kit to record digital out from the Philips - EXT2 to Panny. However, I find that even after setting up record facility on the Philips, the output is (or appears to be) analogue - recorded as a quite grainy image and not per digital quality.

The 2 scarts on the back of the Philips are not labeled (?!) but I have trial 'n errored and found the top one is EXT2 ("necessary to output digital to recorder and enable analogue viewing on TV").

Has anyone had a similar experience/guidance/pointers they could share which would give me digital quality recordings?

Regards,

Gordon

16. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    Buy a Freeview box only around £40 use that a the recording source and use your TV as a monitor.

17. Master G

Master G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Fred. Bit of a disappointment that I need to buy another bit of kit when the Philips claims to be able to output digital via EXT2! :mad: Regards,

18. CJTheBrave

CJTheBrave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've looked at bits on the Philips site Gordon, and it looks like you get composite video out on the scarts of the TV, for the best quality you could do with RGB from a digital source to the AV2 connector on the Panny.

I actually use a Philips DRT1500 digi-box to achieve this - I cont see why the TV doesn't provide this output too.

Maybe Ive missed something, but I guess the additional tuner is probably the best option. At least then you can watch a digital channel and record a digital channel at the same time - best of both worlds :smashin:

Chris

19. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    It's not that the Philips can't output Freeview. It more that it limits your choice of what you can watch and record at the same time or timeshift. It means that the TV has to be always on or in standby mode. And finally as Chris has mentioned it's only composite. The E85 deserves the best input for you to get to see the best output so a seperate Freeview box can give you that plus a choice of what to watch and record.

20. Master G

Master G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks to both of you - Fred and Chris.

I have fiddled, tinkered and re-configured the cables. Even after setting the Philly to "record mode" for digital output - only get what appears to be an analogue recording. :mad:

So, off to Argos to get a Freeview stand-alone digi box for the exclusive use of the Panny :) As you say, best of both worlds...... :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Gordon