1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Driving TV and projector

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jGrahamD, Oct 29, 2004.

1. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm thinking of building an HCPC to drive both a TV and projector, but no conventional monitor. The projector will only be for occasional use (Sanyo Z2). My concern would be that it might boot up in high resolution mode when the projector is not connected. Does anyone know if the plug and play technology prevents this, or if there is any way of ensuring that it will boot up in low resolution mode?

2. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My HTPC has a nVidia FX5200 to which I have a AE100 projector (via VGA) and a Toshiba RPTV (via s-video) permenantly connected. After the best part of a year of messing around I have found the best configuration is to define different resolutions for the TV and projector ( 1:1 mapped ) and switch between the configurations using the nVidia nView software that comes with the graphics card drivers. Switching configurations also switches the primary display ( the displays are configured in clone mode so they are both always active ) so the overlay for video switches to whichever one I am using.

Another option is to set everything up for the projector and then use the TV as secondary display in clone mode and with full screen video however I don't think this is as useful.

I'm now happy with the set up and will stick with it until I change one of the display devices or the graphics card. I'm not sure whether the ATi drivers will support this sort of configuration, however I'm guessing you can do something similar as most driver software seems to include display configuration management software nowadays. In terms of plug and play you do need to have the displays connected to have them recognized and to prevent the card behaving unpredictably I'd recommend leaving them both connected if possible.

Hope this helps? it is possible, it just takes a little perseverence...

Simon

3. starfire

starfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi Simon,

Can you help?....

I also have an FX5200 connected permanently to a TV via S-Video and ocasionally to my projector (Infocus X1). I don't boot my PC each time I use it, I leave it permanently in suspend-to-ram (STR) for quick restart when I want to use it.

The issue comes when I connect my projector and resume the PC - it doesn't switch to clone mode (how I left it), it runs in single display mode until I load the relevant profile I made (or activate clone manually). So, I need to poweron my TV and then do this via the nview display manager before I can use my projector.

What I'm looking for is a simple method of loading the relevant profile that can be driven from a GUI (myHTPC) front end - any ideas?

How did you solve this or do you leave both devices connected and powered on?

Cheers
    Simon.

4. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The easiest solution I've found is to (a) keep the nVidia drivers bang up to date as they keep improving the support for multiple displays and (b) set up some hotkey shortcuts to switch/activate particular profile.

I have a projector profile which makes my projector the primary display, the TV secondary and the resolution 1280x720, and a TV one that switches the display order such that the TV is primary and sets the resolution to 800x600. In the nView display manager you can assign a keyboard shortcut to 'Load Profile' so I have CTRL+SHIFT+P to load the projector one and CTRL+SHIFT+T to load the TV one. Each profile also has it's own wallpaper so you can see which mode you're in.

If you set up a similar keyboard shortcut you should be able to quickly load the profile at any point ( you may need two idendical ones to switch between ) using the keyboard.

Hope this helps

Simon

5. starfire

starfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,

I've used the hotkeys as you suggested and that seems to do the trick - I was concerned it would throw up a warning about losing the current profile settings (which happens when you manually switch in the driver gui) but it just switches across fine - just need to automate with girder now.

Thanks.

6. sea surfer

sea surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +804
    Having this problem with my display just now, running a vga cable from a radeon 9200 graphics card to Sony VPL-11HT, updated drivers on video card, set up configuration to extend desktop to both monitors can't get projector to pick up signal!! :mad: