Driving to Switzerland - Need some advice :)

Deadringers

Hey guys,

driving with the family to Switzerland tomorrow so going to be doing a lot of mileage.

Just wanted to check what we should do with regards to tyre pressure?

I will fill up the wipers with the special cleaning stuff today and couldn't remember if you should over inflate slightly or under inflate slightly when doing a long journey? or was that complete ********! :D

Also where would I get the tyre pressure from? car manual? We are going in a BMW 320 diesel.

Thanks

DR

stripe

I don't think the distance you cover matters, just make sure they are at the correct pressure for the load. On the frame of the drivers door in a BMW, there is a little chart/diagram explaining what pressure to inflate the tyres to when loading the car up, follow that and you shouldn't go wrong.

mjn

Distinguished Member
Don't forget your Motorway Pass for Switzerland!

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
Don't forget your Motorway Pass for Switzerland!
Can't you just buy it at the border control? I went to the World Cup in '96 and we did some driving around Switzerland/Austria/Lichtenstein/France as well as Germany and we just bought the motorway pass at the Swiss border.

We didn't actually have a clue we needed one until we got there though :laugh:

FZR400RRSP

Banned
paulyoung666 said:
Get an accurate gauge , don't rely on the one at the pump !!!!!
Better off ignoring garage air lines altogether, buy a foot pump and gauge.
Takes longer to drive to a garage than to use that.
And the OP will have to put his pressures back to normal at some point as well, so that's two trips to an unreliable garage air line.

Can't you just buy it at the border control? I went to the World Cup in '96 and we did some driving around Switzerland/Austria/Lichtenstein/France as well as Germany and we just bought the motorway pass at the Swiss border.

We didn't actually have a clue we needed one until we got there though :laugh:
Yes - You can buy one as you cross from Germany into Switzerland - I think it was about 60 euros if memory serves...

Food advice...Avoid the pizzas that look like they have carrots in them - as they are not pizzas!!! disgusting!!!