Driving test failed!

Zapp.Brannigan

Established Member
Reaction score
My missus unfortunately failed her driving test yesterday. She received 12 minor mistakes on her score sheet (maximum is 30).

She was failed on an incorrect lane at a minor roundabout (please see the attached image).

She's already booked up for another test, but is really upset about failing obviously.

My question is: Does an error like that really warrant an outright failure? To me it seems a little harsh.

I've been told there is no point in contesting this as it won't get me anywhere. I was just after opinions.

Cheers

Simon

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 436
Was the failure for using an incorrect lane (which should be a minor at worse) or for switching lanes, which if done without mirror checks could be classed as serious, and as such a major fault?

Depending on the signage of the roundabout. If her exit was shown as past 12 o'clock and she used the inside lane then she would have been in the wrong lane. If she did use the inside lane and then straight lined the roundabout then that would have been a definate fail.

If you mean she used the left lane as in the diagram then yes that will be a major.

Minors are not checking mirror when changing gear, or not changing gear quick enough. Wrong lane is bad roadcraft and puts you in a dangerous position. Not saying I haven't done it, because I have.

Sorry to hear she failed. I killed a squirrel on my driving test. Can't get worse than that.

Good luck for next time.

Orson - The failure was for using an incorrect lane.
Gibbsy - I would need to ask her if she cut across from the inside lane.

Here's another picture of the junction from street view.

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 405
I would side with the above, and say that she either didn't indicate, and/or was lane drifting/switching, which is a major.

Would be more concerned that 12 minors is ok, used to be far less than 30, more like 15, and less even before..

Sorry to hear she failed. I killed a squirrel on my driving test. Can't get worse than that.

I feel there's a story behind this, the imagery in my head is of you launching yourself out the car and attacking a squirrel somehow, will be mightily disappointed if you just ran it over! :laugh:

I chased it. Examiner told me to turn left, but the squirrel made me look a mug so I went back for it.

Would be more concerned that 12 minors is ok, used to be far less than 30, more like 15, and less even before..
Still is:

The pass mark for the driving test
You can make up to 15 driving faults and still pass the test. If you make 16 or more driving faults, you won't pass your test.

So where's the OP getting 30 from then?, surely with 12 she was just about a fail anyway, maybe the tester was in fear of his life, and thought stuff it, might as well fail her now.!:rotfl:

So where's the OP getting 30 from then?, surely with 12 she was just about a fail anyway, maybe the tester was in fear of his life, and thought stuff it, might as well fail her now.!:rotfl:

I was told by her instructor that it was now 30 minor errors allowed.

Minors are not checking mirror when changing gear

That's a new one on me. :confused:

I will try to remember from now on to check my mirror whilst changing gear but may I ask why you consider it is a mistake not to do so?

Put it this way. Take her for dinner tonight. Keep calling the cancellations line and sit the first available test. Think it has to be two weeks since the fail though. Unless this has changed. I passed the second time.

I had the same examiner and he even remembered me. Couldn't forget the guy who murdered the squirrel. I was going to run it over, it moved, I bottled it and skidded. Hit a patch of oil, fuel, or something.

Remember the examiner gripping the handrail and going tense (You're not meant to stop are you). I controlled the skid etc and he was impressed that I had genuine car control and composed myself. Although couldn't pass me as I still shouldn't have attempted to brake. (Don't now. *******).

Was a nice chap. Said it is hard to kill an animal, but you can't stop for small animals etc. Which I knew. He'd seen me back off, check mirror etc, but the little git wanted to play chicken and lost. I remember thinking he's going to move. Surely I'm not going to kill an animal on my driving test etc. Now in the real world you just get on with it.

Sometimes it's safe to avoid. Other times it is not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry - my mistake. I've just had a look on the directgov's website and it does state 15 minor errors allowed. I'll speak with the instructor about that. Cheers Crocodile.

Looking at the sign for the roundabout it clearly shows the exit at 12 o'clock. So if she was indeed failed for taking the inside line that would seem unreasonable as you wouldn't know the exit was past 12 o'clock in advance.

So there may well be grounds for appeal, if such a thing exists.

Edit
Just looking again & the sign has thrown me (as maybe it did her) as it's the first exit that's shown at 12 o'clock when it clearly isn't. The straight on exit is shown at 3 o'clock which would require the outside lane approach. I suppose it depends on the instructions she was given or if this was in the (paraphrasing) making your own decisions part of the test.

Attachments

• Margate.jpg
    Margate.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Julie said:
That's a new one on me. :confused:

I will try to remember from now on to check my mirror whilst changing gear but may I ask why you consider it is a mistake not to do so?

Sorry my bad. It's that you are expected to check your mirrors when changing speed and/or direction. I associate this with changing gears.

So it's not strictly every time you change gears. But if you pull away from traffic lights without checking your mirrors this would be a minor. Generally I do this every gear change to see who is around, if someone is planning an overtake, driving too close etc.

Crocodile said:
Looking at the sign for the roundabout it clearly shows the exit at 12 o'clock. So if she was indeed failed for taking the inside line that would seem unreasonable as you wouldn't know the exit was past 12 o'clock in advance.

So there may well be grounds for appeal, if such a thing exists.

See where you are coming from. Would it depend if the examiner said straight on at the round about, or right.

He'd have said second exit, or should have and in that case I see no reason to use lane one. The first exit is shown as 12 o'clock. The second is shown after 12o'clock, instructing to use lane two.

I know that isn't the road layout. However I'm following the sign. Not having a dig at the OP. I just don't see any grounds for appeal.

Last edited:
Isn't the instructor meant to take you around the test routes?

The sheet given at the end of the test will explain why she failed, no need for speculation.

There are no road or sign markings telling you to use lane two to take the second exit
The Highway Code tells you that you should use the outside lane for an exit to the right. The sign on the approach shows the second exit as being to the right, even though it isn't.

The sign on the approach shows the second exit as being to the right, even though it isn't.

Then the sign is wrong

I bet a fair few drivers are also making the wrong procedure for taking the second exit

Did she make the same category of minor mistake 3 times? If so that's a fail, at least it was 11 years ago when I passed. I remember my instructor telling me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom