Driving test failed!

on approach to mini roundabout....

you would signal left to turn left

not signal if straight on

signal right if you are taking a right turn on mini roundabout

Correct.
Of course it's more difficult to time ( or even fit in ) a signal at a mini roundabout but that's no reason not to try.
Signals being just a clue alongside others such as position, speed etc.
A car approaching a roundabout quickly is unlikely to turn etcetera etcetera etcetera

Dave

Last edited:
you find them on direction signs aparrantly they are diversion signs they are yellow background with a black square, circle, diamond or triangle, what is the difference between the four of them?

There isn't any, I'm sure, if you are lead by one, you keep following that one, and ignore the other shapes, they are for different roads/routes, from memory...
There's about 8 or so different shapes/styles.

cornish said:
on approach to mini roundabout....

you would signal left to turn left

not signal if straight on

signal right if you are taking a right turn on mini roundabout

Re read the post and then comment again .....

anyone remember the stopping distances for 20,30,40,50,60 or 70 mph? can remember them all and also i can tell you that at 100mph it is 600ft and if you want to go 120mph it is 840ft and at 140mph 1,120ft :devil:

couldn't tell you what that is in meters though!

It was to do with timing , ie. very little time available on a mini r'bout ....

i did say on approach to a mini roundabout rather than being on it! sometimes it's nice to have little refreshers though as we are probably all guilty of throwing the highway code in the bin after throwing away the L plates!

Very true, it's easy to slip into bad habits.

I made 2 observation errors on my test in 2001, my examiner said if i'd made a third it was classed as serious and would be a fail. It also showed that on his test sheet.

This was in December 2001, so it's either changed or my examiner was a liar. I passed 1st time btw so didn't care!

wife passed on her fourth attempt the other month, 15 minors. 5 were actually on the same line, think it was steering or control

In OP's post I'd say that IMO she did use the wrong lane as while it may be the second exit, it's still a right turn and would treat as a right turn rather than a 2nd exit. I'd have used inside lane, indicated right, then once passing the first exit, indicate left, etc.

been a long time since passed my test, first time pass too and i've never read the highway code since, so thought i'd look up something i see on road signs often enough but never knew what they were....

you find them on direction signs aparrantly they are diversion signs they are yellow background with a black square, circle, diamond or triangle, what is the difference between the four of them?
As you've said, it's just an easy way of doing diversions. Each symbol is a different major route so the diversion can just say to follow the diamonds to get to somewhere.

Correct.
Of course it's more difficult to time ( or even fit in ) a signal at a mini roundabout but that's no reason not to try.
Signals being just a clue alongside others such as position, speed etc.
A car approaching a roundabout quickly is unlikely to turn etcetera etcetera etcetera

Dave

That's incorrect, in a test situation you could actually be marked down for a signal to leave a mini roundabout. Crazy - but true.
Only signal on approach to mini's

Looking at the sign, it appears this is one of those dodgy "get on / off a bypass" roundabouts. Googlemaps shows that 3rd exit is only for the housing cul-de-sac and not for "through" traffic. This is why it is marked with the "nubbin" on the sign. In practice, "nubbin" exits should be ignored for the purposes of lane discipline as they are often farmers gates, works access or "on only" ramps.

With that in mind, we are back to a usual 2 lane, 2 exit approach, in which case the right hand lane is appropriate. Sad to say examiners usually pull this sort of thing if they were in 2 minds to pass or fail as it just covers their arse, easier to say "it was a fail" buy sticking a major down than "it was a fail" because you got 16 minors.

I failed my first test for "being in the wrong lane" despite this being a huge roundabout with no lane markings and having practised it many, many times from all angles. Funnily enough, the Council seemed to agree with me when they painted the roundabout up a few years later, but hey ho!

Tell her to relax, learn from her experience and put the Champers on ice for round 2.

NooBish AbbZ 92 said:
In OP's post I'd say that IMO she did use the wrong lane as while it may be the second exit, it's still a right turn and would treat as a right turn rather than a 2nd exit. I'd have used inside lane, indicated right, then once passing the first exit, indicate left, etc.

So that's the inside lane as in the left lane , or do you mean the outside lane as in the right lane , I get the feeling you mean the latter .....

What is the correct etiquete for going all the way round a 3 exit mini roundabout, if it is even allowed?

As indicating right would indicate you are pulling off one exit earlier than expected.

paulyoung666 said:
So that's the inside lane as in the left lane , or do you mean the outside lane as in the right lane , I get the feeling you mean the latter .....

Yeah inside would be the right hand lane, left outside

What is the correct etiquete for going all the way round a 3 exit mini roundabout, if it is even allowed?

As indicating right would indicate you are pulling off one exit earlier than expected.

you should avoid making a u-turn (going all the way around) on a mini roundabout, but, you should always be aware of someone else that may decide to make that manoevre..... be prepared to stop or flip the finger at them :devil:

NooBish AbbZ 92 said:
Yeah inside would be the right hand lane, left outside

No, if you follow lane definition from a motorway then the left lane is the inside lane .....

Hence the confusion when people discuss roundabout etiquette, some are thinking of inner and outer circles and others are applying the opposite multi-lane usage where the inner lane is on the nearside and the outer on the off side.

IronGiant said:
Hence the confusion when people discuss roundabout etiquette, some are thinking of inner and outer circles and others are applying the opposite multi-lane usage where the inner lane is on the nearside and the outer on the off side.

Could always start talking about nearside and offside .....

Passed first time quite a few years ago. Was told by instructor that getting the same minor error three times was a fail.

Passed first time quite a few years ago. Was told by instructor that getting the same minor error three times was a fail.

I was under the impression it was 4 minors in the same section constituting a fail?
I took my test not long after they increased the maximum allowed minor faults from 12 (I think) to 15. I passed first time with 13 minors, including 3 engine stalls! :laugh:

The correct etiquette is to use your speed and position in the road as your signal - ie take a wider than normal route and go slow. This way other drivers will have a visual indication of your intentions.

The correct etiquette is to use your speed and position in the road as your signal - ie take a wider than normal route and go slow. This way other drivers will have a visual indication of your intentions.

is this something that is practised for the driving test? or demonstrated in a driving test? just curious really! i'd have thought aking a wider than normal route then someone 'could' cut inside to take a right turn if lane discipline approach is compromised for this.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom